Bazaar database

Discussion and suggestions regarding the site and/or forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Sobuno
Developer

Re: Bazaar database

Post by Sobuno » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:41 am

The first request should be easy, but I am not sure I understand the last part of your post

Rommel
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Rommel » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:01 am

By last part you mean...
Rommel wrote:Also to minimize on the amount of things listed in the parent class drop down can a special page be used just for adding parent classes?
Well there are only so many parent classes so it would be nice if we could say, hey this, this, and, this are parent classes and then only those would be listed on the form where users can mass enter.

IDK, It might just be easier for me to quickly add all the parent classes so they can be locked down and the rest can be added.

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:38 am

Rommel wrote:By last part you mean...
Rommel wrote:Also to minimize on the amount of things listed in the parent class drop down can a special page be used just for adding parent classes?
Well there are only so many parent classes so it would be nice if we could say, hey this, this, and, this are parent classes and then only those would be listed on the form where users can mass enter.

IDK, It might just be easier for me to quickly add all the parent classes so they can be locked down and the rest can be added.
But aren't all classes parent classes except for the bottommost classes?

Take Duralloy Steel. It's no parent class as it has no children, but each of its ancestors (Steel, Ferrous Metal, Metal, Mineral, Inorganic) are parent classes

I don't know if I am still misunderstanding you?

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:18 am

I have had a quick look at the add category screen and I am uncertain on how to use it, and if I am, then I guess more guys are. Or maybe I need another coffee before typing.

I see the box "Parent", am I supposed to add sub-parents there? What then for sub-parent to sub-parents? (In computer gibberish we talk about nodes and leafs.)

How to do with for example Misc / Item / an-item, will it show up as "Misc Item" or how do I add "Item" as a category?

In the presentation view, please lighten up the dark gray just a little.

Thanks

/Zimoon

Rommel
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Rommel » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:21 pm

I guess what I am trying to say is, I haven't started adding the bottom most items as if I select a parent it will be added the the parent list and it just gets longer and longer, filling up with classes I can select for parent that are not parents.

How to use:
Example, Adding Arm Armor which is a child of Armor...
Type Arm Armor in the name box, select Armor as the parent.
To see who it will show up you can look at the armor listing, I already added all those.

kelsaka
Intermediate Crafter

Post by kelsaka » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:45 pm

Gah, I could have sworn I picked the first 'bandolier' entry as the parent each time. I need an edit button :(
~ Kelsaka Rymi ~
SWG Cover Girl September 2008
TRF ~ Naboo ~ Infinity

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:41 pm

Okay, first of all, this entry mode is only for the categories. Items will be added later on through another interface, we just need the commodity tree set-up for now.

Every category appears in the Parent dropdown-menu aswell as the option No Parent.
How to do with for example Misc / Item / an-item, will it show up as "Misc Item" or how do I add "Item" as a category?
It would just show up as "Item", possibly "Misc -> Item" or something like that (To indicate its position in the tree structure). You would add it by entering Item as name and Misc as parent.

I've added a checkbox that can be checked to indicate that the categories you are entering are bottom-level categories (Categories with no children). They won't show up in the parent list if the box is checked

kelsaka
Intermediate Crafter

Post by kelsaka » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:43 pm

Sobuno wrote:Okay, first of all, this entry mode is only for the categories. Items will be added later on through another interface, we just need the commodity tree set-up for now.
Sorry, I didn't realise. Can you delete my bandolier entries please?
~ Kelsaka Rymi ~
SWG Cover Girl September 2008
TRF ~ Naboo ~ Infinity

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:05 pm

kelsaka wrote:
Sobuno wrote:Okay, first of all, this entry mode is only for the categories. Items will be added later on through another interface, we just need the commodity tree set-up for now.
Sorry, I didn't realise. Can you delete my bandolier entries please?

Hmmm, I am very confused now. These bandoliers you've entered do appear under the "Object Type Filter" header in the game. Are you saying that every item in the game has an entry over there?

If that's the case, these are the ones that should be considered the bottommost categories

EDIT: To clarify: Everything located under the "Object Type Filter" header should be entered

I moved your bandoliers for you, kelsaka

Slyvampy
Lead Developer

Post by Slyvampy » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:38 am

Biggest issue i see this is the fact that this "outer database" is repeated under "factory crates" so basically thats double the item list?
Slyvampy
Founder, SWGCraft.org
http://www.swgcraft.org

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:11 am

Slyvampy wrote:Biggest issue i see this is the fact that this "outer database" is repeated under "factory crates" so basically thats double the item list?
I don't know what you mean really, but I put it this way.

All and every item that can be manufactured also has its own entry under Misc // Factory Crates // *, a long flat list of all crates.

We have asked many a times for the Devs to change that so all crates end up in the same category as its content, that is for two reasons: newcomers do not know about this superfluous location to search in, and it is much more convenient to see them both side by side for comparison of the goods.

But ... we have not got this yet, so indeed, the database will double.

/Zimoon