Integration

Discussion and suggestions regarding the site and/or forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Zbignew
Intermediate Crafter

Integration

Post by Zbignew » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:14 pm

Does anyone know if the project Zimoon was working on would integrate with this project. If memory serves he was well into updating new schematics and working on the new professions when it faded away. Is anyone in contact with him? Are his files (http://swgcraft.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19111)
compatible?

Zbig

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:39 am

According to his profile on swg.com he has not logged in since 3/1/07 which is surprising because I thought he kept his server updated even if he didnt post in the forums. :oops:
I believe Arketh was working with Z, try him.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Mon May 14, 2007 7:52 pm

Hi folks, real life kind of got me and I only watched from beside, never logged in.

If there is anything I can do I would be pleased.

The two projects and files I was involved in was:
  1. Resources XML file
  2. Schematics XML file
The resources XML file is up to date as far as I am aware of. There will be an upcoming addition with the geothermal resources.

The schematics XML file are left behind. I found someone had done some additions to the file the project we all were involved with (Arketh had the web form site, I compiled the results, but several fellows contributed to the database). The problem with the addition is that in some minor ways it broke or fell aside from what Trokk originally designed.

Trokk actually made quite a good design with great afterthought. I suggest we continue as tight as possible. Remember, quite a few applications and spread sheets use the abbreviations, etc., from SWGCraft.com.

Whatever, I am trying, at my spare time, to adjust the updated version of our previous file to be compatible with older abbreviation and naming schemes.

I have not acquainted myself enough with this site yet to knwo where to upload any files or anything else (registered today as you may see). Hence, any hints are appreciated.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Mon May 14, 2007 8:01 pm

About Resources

I do not believe we need to do anything special about new resources added to the game. The only data necessary to update the XML file is name, class, parental class, low/max stat of all stats that matters. Creature Resources also needs a tag if they are possible to harvest or not (to discern them from "synthetic" resources only available from the 30k Veteran Reward Crate and possibly sometimes as "loot").

Another concern is about the SWGCraft database (before it is shut down or anything), is it somehow saved away, or maybe "milked" on its data? Another possibility could be if someone ... hmmff ... found a way to milk the real galaxy databases, which I of course do not suggest, but somehow feel a sick curiosity over ;)

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Mon May 14, 2007 8:12 pm

About Schematics

The web site Arketh kindly hosted filled its purpose, close to bare bones but functional. The site made it possible for anybody to submit and/or edit data on any schematic.

Is anything similar planned for at this site?

I would love to see it possible to let "trusted" community members edit schematic data and not just rely on a few admins courtesy. "Trusted" could be anybody been a member for say 14 days.

I would love to see the site backed up from an XML file such as the one produced one year back. An XML file that can be exported, quite easily edited, and parsed to fill user requests.

I love the "Shopping List" and many other features I did see at the few minutes I visited the DEV site, features I remember from SWGCraft.com. These can easily be made up from an XML file dynamically.

The benefit is that a common ground may be used both here and in the zoo of applications and spread sheets folks tend to come up with. Late edits is immediately reflected at the web and in the exported XML. Etc.

We would perhaps need to enhance the current Schematics XML file, should we? We perhaps also need another XML file holding profession data, such as at which point certain items, skills, abilities, and schematics were granted, and their descriptions. Is anything in the pipeline?

xorbok
Forum Moderator

Post by xorbok » Tue May 15, 2007 4:32 am

Heck of a start from Zimoon, but then again, i would not have expected anything less, welcome aboard!!!
ImageImage

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue May 15, 2007 6:28 am

Thanks, do not ever think I have not missed you. Just that family and a new job took most of my time until recently, but then, I guess only Yoda can tell me what will happen the next week ;)

May I ask if there is some kind of FTP area to upload the files in question to? I have not found a way to attach files to forum posts.

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Tue May 15, 2007 7:10 am

Zimoon wrote:Thanks, do not ever think I have not missed you. Just that family and a new job took most of my time until recently, but then, I guess only Yoda can tell me what will happen the next week ;)

May I ask if there is some kind of FTP area to upload the files in question to? I have not found a way to attach files to forum posts.
Files should be sent to data@swgcraft.co.uk as far as I am aware

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Tue May 15, 2007 4:39 pm

While I was editing the above post, the internet shut off (We've got exams at this place at the moment, so access to the internet gets cut to prevent cheating), so I am just gonna make a new post.

I think we used the schematics XML file to import schematics to the site. And I might still have the swgcraft id tagged to each row in the mySQL database.

But let me just get this straight: What exactly did Trokk's XML file contain? Was it the schematics XML or?

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue May 15, 2007 6:46 pm

Trokk never had or used an XML file of his own. To my knowledge he did not use the one from our project.

The most recent thing he did with the schematics was an overhaul by himself, To my knowledge he never quite finished that job of his.

I do not know why he did not use the XML file since we had made a great effort to convey everything that the old site data had, such as "swgcraft_id" and names.

He accepted and incorporated some additions, edits, and corrections that I PM'd and emailed him, stuff that emerged from the Schematic XML file project or was revealed by it.

The XML files (the schematics file and the resources file) both reside at http://simongronlund.googlepages.com/swgresourcefiles and are updatd not too long ago. Still work to be done of course ;)
Last edited by Zimoon on Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited URL

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue May 15, 2007 6:57 pm

May I add, as an afterthought, that I believe Trokk did not want to dynamically use the XML file in the web engine. And probably he had hard coded that many things that he felt more comfortable just manually edit the content somehow.

On a side note, I do not suggest that the XML file is dynamically looked up on each web query, if that would cause a stress on the server, but much content could regularly be comiled from a dynamically updated XML file, which at the same time can be exported to the community.

I mean, the more transparent data we have the more likely it is that users of the data also will support and contribute to the data.

Make it easy to contribute and edit and download data and see that generosity uses to pay off in a community such as this one. An XML is just a data carrier, not the holy graal, after all.

Trokk made the initial design mistake to create something not that flexible and he was later burdened by the overwhelming work to keep up with updates and editing.

That is the main reason I propose a site design that clearly separates data from logic from view. That way you devs could easily split the work in small pieces and do what each one is best at. Hopefully you have already designed it that way :D

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Tue May 15, 2007 8:23 pm

I think one of the reasons that he didn't make it that user-editable was the fact that he didn't want alot of "wannabee"-SWGCraft sites showing up that had all the content that his site had collected through the years (Talking resources here)

Our site is driven by a MySQL server without dynamically making static pages, but our bandwidth can handle it with the current popularity of the site.

I don't know much about making XML files though, and we use quite another structure of saving the schematics info

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Wed May 16, 2007 6:00 am

Zimoon wrote: I would love to see it possible to let "trusted" community members edit schematic data and not just rely on a few admins courtesy. "Trusted" could be anybody been a member for say 14 days.
I would like to add this feature too, but I still think that there should be some form of moderation on it, or someone might just want to spoil the work of people by editing the schematics to be unusable

But continuing my post from yesterday, I don't see all of the site being run by a XML file as the backend instead of the mySQL server, but we could have a cronjob set up to create a XML file for schematics every x days or something. But as I said yesterday, I really have no experience with XML files, so it would be something another developer would have to take care of (Or wait for me to learn it...)

xorbok
Forum Moderator

Post by xorbok » Wed May 16, 2007 6:42 am

zimoon, you could always apply to be a mod or some level of dev or something, your knowledge of that stuff seems to be at least a little on the up and up, and you have proven you knowledge of the game on swgcraft .... just a thought ..
ImageImage

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed May 16, 2007 7:05 am

Sobuno wrote:
Zimoon wrote: I would love to see it possible to let "trusted" community members edit schematic data and not just rely on a few admins courtesy. "Trusted" could be anybody been a member for say 14 days.
I would like to add this feature too, but I still think that there should be some form of moderation on it, or someone might just want to spoil the work of people by editing the schematics to be unusable
Yes, of course there need to be some kind of backup so that we always can revert to a previous copy.
Sobuno wrote:But continuing my post from yesterday, I don't see all of the site being run by a XML file as the backend instead of the mySQL server, but we could have a cronjob set up to create a XML file for schematics every x days or something. But as I said yesterday, I really have no experience with XML files, so it would be something another developer would have to take care of (Or wait for me to learn it...)
OK, mySQL is a good and snappy choice, Swedish as well ;)

Hence, why not a separate web section for input/editing of schematics, similar to the one Arketh made last year. Is he around? Maybe he still has the code for that project? Let the data go straight into your database (keep replaced data in a blurb somewhere).

Compile another XML file from the database content, perhaps once a day, if there is a change.

That way we will meet my baby but do not need to replace the work you have made so far.

XML files are nothing but data holders, while so many people boast about them, they are nothing more than tagged data, exactly as HTML tags text, images, etc. No big difference. From just reading the simple XML files you find at the link I posted above you will get the hang of it in less than 2 minutes, I promise you :P