Crate sizes

Discussion and suggestions regarding the site and/or forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Onyx
Chef Forum Moderator

Crate sizes

Post by Onyx » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:59 pm

Someone just asked a question over on the official forums that made me stop and think.

How hard would it be to add a crate-size field to each schematic? Like right below the complexity or the schematic size. That actually is valuable information for newer (and maybe some of us older) crafters when looking at managing factory runs--while most items are crated at 25 we all know that there are various and sundry other ones ranging anywhere from 5 to 10 to 50 to 100.

Apologies if this has been asked before :)
Onyx, Chef Forum Moderator

Whitley's Fine Food & Drinks
Open for business since June 2004 -- Twilight's End, Naboo (-3036, 5300), Kettemoor

Official Domestic Goods Senator

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: Crate sizes

Post by Zimoon » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:59 pm

Great, no, an awesome suggestion.

I can imagine that SWGAide once in a future will have some kind of factory tracking support, then this info would be invaluable.

Plus the benefit right away. Yes, the crate sizes differ a lot, my Structure Trader is confused very often, some "small" items are crated 10 by 10 but some "bigger" items easily fit into crates of 25 :shock:

So, the technical stuff: would it be possible to add a text field open for anybody that has been a member for let us say 7 days to use? That is to avoid just a few being able to use the edit web page. But the time limit to hinder morons somewhat.

/Zimoon

Onyx
Chef Forum Moderator

Post by Onyx » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:51 pm

Yea, I was a bit shocked at the realization. Someone asked if there was a master list with the info and I realized that to my knowledge, no there's not but there really ought to be lol. And of course this is the most logical place.
Onyx, Chef Forum Moderator

Whitley's Fine Food & Drinks
Open for business since June 2004 -- Twilight's End, Naboo (-3036, 5300), Kettemoor

Official Domestic Goods Senator

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:26 pm

Are there any set sizes (10, 25, 50, etc.)?

Put another way: Would it be suitable for a dropdown list or is there a need for a plain textfield?

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Sobuno wrote:Are there any set sizes (10, 25, 50, etc.)?

Put another way: Would it be suitable for a dropdown list or is there a need for a plain textfield?
Yes, there are set sizes. Those I know of are 5, 10, 15, 25, 50, and 100. Anybody may update that list. Dropdown sounds perfect.

/Zimoon

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:39 am

1 is a common crate size, though you could argue 1 is not a crate, it should be noted which schematics produce singles and not crates.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:33 am

Savacc wrote:1 is a common crate size, though you could argue 1 is not a crate, it should be noted which schematics produce singles and not crates.
Good point, perhaps we should name them "Singles only" rather than 1, not to confuse somebody?

/Zimoon

Trixie9819
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Trixie9819 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:41 pm

Should we start a list? I'm the one who asked to begin with, lol. It's driving me crazy trying to figure out what to expect.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:54 pm

Not a list, I believe Sobuno is adding a feature directly at the schematic pages. Give him a few days :)

/Zimoon

Trixie9819
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Trixie9819 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:17 pm

/sits on her hands and jiggles impatiently.

but...but...but...I want it NOW mommy!

Thanks a ton for this, it will make my life so much easier in figuring out how much a 'factory run' of mandalorian wine would be (12 cases) or how many large houses I can do in a run, for when GU9 hits.

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:11 pm

I've added the new field to the schematic pages, can only be edited by the moderators at the moment though

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:07 pm

Sobuno wrote:I've added the new field to the schematic pages, can only be edited by the moderators at the moment though
Is it possible to add something that temporary Moderators can moderate, which also grants access to editing schematics?

After all, recently we have seen many new-comers that have already added much to the site and community here. A limited-mod-ability would perhaps be something possible to give trustworthy members the power to edit and upgrade the schematics, is it?

I embrace everybody that wants to help, and in a way it would give us all a better site and those that want to take part a chance to do so. Which makes for an even warmer brotherhood here :D

/Zimoon

PS: Still we need regular backups to enable rollbacks, should somebody join the Siths over night 8)

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:44 pm

Zimoon wrote: Is it possible to add something that temporary Moderators can moderate, which also grants access to editing schematics?

/Zimoon

PS: Still we need regular backups to enable rollbacks, should somebody join the Siths over night 8)
Added a new group "Schematic Maintainers". Members of this group can add, duplicate and edit schematics.

All moderators have been made members of this group, but I have not given them the ability to add other members yet as I need to check out if our nightly backup files are in any working condition (Might take me a while...)

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:08 pm

Cool.

And in due time I hope nobody mind not to be given the power at will or at a whim. We don't want anybody to destroy what others have worked hard for.

/Zimoon

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:26 pm

Moderators now have the ability to add other members, nightly backup worked brilliantly