linking from schematics to resources

Discussion and suggestions regarding the site and/or forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Ibaum
Apprentice Crafter

linking from schematics to resources

Post by Ibaum » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:04 am

So I was just looking into possibly switching over to be a munitions trader instead just for something a little different. I was poking around the schematics to see what kind of quantities of each resource I would need. I was thinking that it would be nice if when you clicked on the needed resource, instead of taking you to the Resource Usage page, it instead took you to the Find Resource(?) page where it was already sorted by experimentation.

I think this would require using the default server, for instance mine is Starsider. And multiple experimentation lines that used different ratios would be difficult. Hmmm. I'm not sure it's do-able. Well, if it is it would be great, and if not then that's okay. I was envisioning looking up a schematic, seeing I need Corellian Fiberplast or whatever, and then clicking on the resource link to go to the Find Resource that already would have looked up the best resources in the database for my server based on the experimentation. Can this be done?

Anyway, you guys run a great site. Thanks.
/Ibaum

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Re: linking from schematics to resources

Post by Savacc » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:32 am

Didnt someone already suggest something like this and Z and I shot it down?

Basically the problem is that while most of the time the resource with the highest rating according to the experiemntal percentages will be the best resource to use, it will not always be so.

An example might be a schematic that calls for OQ and PE and uses steel, ore, chem and radioactive. Well only the radioactive has a PE score. So a radioactive with OQ 500, PE 900 will be tons better to use then one that is OQ 900, PE 500, though the rating on the Find Resources page will be identical.

Ibaum
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Ibaum » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:34 am

Ibaum wrote:And multiple experimentation lines that used different ratios would be difficult.
That's what I was thinking with this. I still think it's a good idea, but just not sure how it could really be done.
/Ibaum

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:05 am

Parts of this idea is interesting, yes, but if it is doable is another question.

Also remember that even if this site may point you to a resource that would do, you may have resources in stock that could "help up" a medium resource. Think this way, a schematic calls for Metal and Chem, 50/50 on CD/OQ, and such a feature points you to a Metal that has 950/950 as the best, but it has been spawning for 6 days already, it may die any minute. However, there is also a Metal with 920/970 (inferior to the previous one) and it was reported just hours ago. Since you happen to have a Lub Oil at stock with OQ 1000, which would take even the latter, worse resource up way over the magic 960 this would be the one I dropped my harvies at.

These kinds of decisions, and knowledge of what you have at stock, is not really feasible at a web site. Not impossible, but ... . And then you have the multiple experimentation lines :|

/Zimoon