Filtering resource usage by profession

Discussion and suggestions regarding the site and/or forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Ibaum
Apprentice Crafter

Filtering resource usage by profession

Post by Ibaum » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:22 am

There are a couple of ways this could be done, and I'm not sure which would be better. First, you could look up the resource by type as we do now, then apply to only show results applicable to a given profession. A second way of doing this could be to filter by profession first, then only have the resources used by that profession available to search from.

Basically I guess I'm looking for a way to look only at the types of resources I need. So say I'm a Structures trader and I want to take all the foods out of the list. Or a Domestics and want to take most of the metals out of the list.

Ultimately, I guess, it would be worthwhile to create a list for each profession that would have the types of resources to look for and what schematics they're in. So instead of looking up by schematic we could look up by resource. We sort of have this now, but I was thinking exhaustive: filter by Structures and every resource pops up that a Structures trader can use is listed along with a list of what schematics it's used in.

So say filter by Structures, look at the list and see High Grade Polymetric Radioactive on the list, then beside that you would see it's in certain missiles and reactors.

I know that's not very clear but I've been studying for too many hours this evening and I'm taking a break and my mind is frazzed.
/Ibaum

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Re: Filtering resource usage by profession

Post by Savacc » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:32 am

I like your idea, it gets my vote :D

Now we will have to see whether Sobono and Z think its possible or not?

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:05 am

I have no bearing on this site, I just yell when I see something that could be improved upon :)
/Z

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:30 pm

There should be an additional selection box on the Resource Usage page now for professions.

Ibaum
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Ibaum » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:24 pm

This is the right idea! I was hoping for one more thing though. Is there a way that when you select a type it would filter out unnecessary resources based on schematics? For instance, Structures never use Animal Bones or Blended Wood. Jedi never need any Fiberplast at all. Domestics never need Frasium Carbonate Ore. Is there a way that when we apply the filter based on profession it could just take those never needed resources out of the list? I don't know how much work that would be, but I thought I'd ask since we have all the information we'd need to do that.
/Ibaum

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:11 pm

When selecting a profession, only resources that are used in that profession will be featured in the dropdown list now. This only applies to people having Javascript enabled.

Ibaum
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Ibaum » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:23 pm

Sweet. Thank you so much.

Edit: After trying it out, I have to say this is absolutely perfect! How did we ever get along without it? Thank you again.

It gave rise to another idea: could you, in theory, apply those same filters to the Current Resources page? If you could then only "useful" resources would appear. I'm not sure that would be a good thing, I'm still thinking through it. You would not see other good resources that are worth selling, but you would only see those resources that would be useful to you... well I'm not that lazy. I don't want it. I like perusing those other resources every now and then. Well, I guess you can disregard this whole paragraph. Thanks again.
/Ibaum