Server Best Resource Tool?

Discussion and suggestions regarding the site and/or forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Ruh
Apprentice Crafter

Server Best Resource Tool?

Post by Ruh » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:00 pm

Would it at all be possible to have a function where the best resource known to have spawn for a schematic is suggested or otherwise displayed?

I know this could "dumb down" crafting in a sense, but I think it could be very useful for even expert crafters.

And in order to prevent any sort of server load drainage when the function is initially put in the database for server best could be blank and compare new resources as they are put in via the add resource function. Users could then take it upon themselves to seek out the server best for a schematic and bring that to the best resource function attention.

btw, "server best" for a schematic could be determined by the weights the schematic calls for and whatever is closest to 100% is the "server best".
Ruh [Bounty Hunter] - Ruh' [Smuggler] - Reh [Jedi] - Reh' [Spy] - Ryh [Medic] - Ryh' [Dancer] - Rih' [Commando] - 'Rih [Officer]
ShiodIndustries [Domestics] - ShiodInduztries [Engineer] - ShiodIndustriez [Architect] - ShiodInduztriez [Munitions]
Starsider

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Re: Server Best Resource Tool?

Post by Savacc » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:17 am

I vote no

There are more factors then "highest percentage" to determine which resource is best.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:42 am

I agree.

For example, schematic X calls for resource type I and J, having 50/50 of CD/OQ.

In your inventory you find
Resource I has stats 1000/940.

Now you search for resource J in such a list, which perhaps suggest a resource that is 980/960, which gives an average of 980. And your end result, not weighted though, would be 970.

However, once weighted you may be at a loss. Assume the schematic asks for 100 units of I but 200 units of J, then any other resource having the same average, but better OQ would boost your schematic. Most schematics do not have equal amount in all resource slots.

Another usual option is the possibility to utilize the once-per-stat-slot rule of thumb. For a Chemical you may use a Lub Oil which lacks all of the required stats or perhaps only the OQ is used. How would such a resource stand out in such a query? Certainly so when the site does not know with which other resources you are combining it with, and which other stats the other resources will cover for.

More on these issues in the Beginners Guide for Traders, the chapter on Power Crafting. However, do not just read that chapter as a fact, as even too many so called veteran crafters do, but ponder a while over the effects the different facets do have on crafting. Who said crafting in SWG is simple and boring? ;) :P

That said, I am a software developer and naturally I thought the same way when I was new to crafting, how to use a computer to aid me? It turned out that I needed way more information than I had to give a general reply to that. Currently I suggest you make the best use of the Find feature.

In a future you will be able to use SWGAide for parts of what you ask for, but just as far as your inventory admits for. That is since after that the free variables become too many and the problem to solve is exponential, or possibly worse.

/Zimoon

Ruh
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Ruh » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:18 pm

I see both your points. I had not thought fully about the issue of multiple resource weights. In honesty, I hadn't given much thought to it beyond what I posted here. But the thought came to me while using the JnF tool (it has a function for recommending what resource to use to craft with) and seeing that there is already a function for tracking the resource best on the site when I was messing around with the resource caps tool.

By the way, I noticed something odd with resources pulled off of the old swgcraft.com site using the parser. I'm not sure what exactly happend, but some of the percentages aren't showing right and resources are showing with over 100% of their caps. Unless I am missing something. Not sure if it was ever brought to light, but I thought that it didn't look right. For example: http://www.swgcraft.co.uk/dev/show_reso ... ?id=528342

Quadtetraate, Polonium Iron (Entered by SWGCraft Parser)
CR=713 (308.6%), CD=599 (415.9%), DR=972 (194%), HR=974 (151.2%), MA=352 (203.4%), OQ=12 (1.2%), SR=986 (172%), UT=967 (168.7%)

Also along with that can there be a link added from the resource cap page where it shows the "best" resource of the class to spawn directly to the resource information page. As it stands you have to copy and paste the name into the find resource tool. http://www.swgcraft.co.uk/dev/resource_info.php?res=276
Ruh [Bounty Hunter] - Ruh' [Smuggler] - Reh [Jedi] - Reh' [Spy] - Ryh [Medic] - Ryh' [Dancer] - Rih' [Commando] - 'Rih [Officer]
ShiodIndustries [Domestics] - ShiodInduztries [Engineer] - ShiodIndustriez [Architect] - ShiodInduztriez [Munitions]
Starsider

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:36 pm

Ruh wrote:I see both your points. I had not thought fully about the issue of multiple resource weights. In honesty, I hadn't given much thought to it beyond what I posted here. But the thought came to me while using the JnF tool (it has a function for recommending what resource to use to craft with) and seeing that there is already a function for tracking the resource best on the site when I was messing around with the resource caps tool.

I have not scrutinized how JnF does it but since you have added your inventory I believe it finds combinations from that, plus from only the current resources not considering server best.

By the way, I noticed something odd with resources pulled off of the old swgcraft.com site using the parser. I'm not sure what exactly happend, but some of the percentages aren't showing right and resources are showing with over 100% of their caps. Unless I am missing something. Not sure if it was ever brought to light, but I thought that it didn't look right. For example: http://www.swgcraft.co.uk/dev/show_reso ... ?id=528342

Quadtetraate, Polonium Iron (Entered by SWGCraft Parser)
CR=713 (308.6%), CD=599 (415.9%), DR=972 (194%), HR=974 (151.2%), MA=352 (203.4%), OQ=12 (1.2%), SR=986 (172%), UT=967 (168.7%)

I believe this was added wrongly to begin with. Most possible somebody chose the wrong class for Iron, could it be a Dolonium Iron. It was easy to read it wrong in the drop-down list there and it was possible to add resources way outside caps. That is not possible here :)
If you find out the correct class from the 30k deed, please correct the class or whatever is wrong

Also along with that can there be a link added from the resource cap page where it shows the "best" resource of the class to spawn directly to the resource information page. As it stands you have to copy and paste the name into the find resource tool. http://www.swgcraft.co.uk/dev/resource_info.php?res=276
In red
/Zimoon