Resource Rating bugged?

Discussion and suggestions regarding the site and/or forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Okoto
Novice Crafter

Resource Rating bugged?

Post by Okoto » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:12 pm

I was curious how a resource spawn stacked up against others. It was for one of the wonderful BM components so did Steel and put in 33/33/33 for OQ/SR/UT. #1 spawn came up with a resource rating of 969. My own math on the resource came up with 978 for the same resource. This is on Ahazi and not figuring in resource caps. Did some other searches and it looks like the same thing the ratings are not coming up right.

Known issue? Or am I just still asleep?

Thanks,

Okoto
Okoto - Elder AS
OkotoJunior - Elder Jedi
EvilOkoto - Chef/Tailor
OkotoKariudo - DE
OkotoBuilds - Architect
OkotoIs AfterYou - BM/Medic - Retired BH
--Ahazi

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: Resource Rating bugged?

Post by Zimoon » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:02 pm

Okoto wrote:I was curious how a resource spawn stacked up against others. It was for one of the wonderful BM components so did Steel and put in 33/33/33 for OQ/SR/UT. #1 spawn came up with a resource rating of 969. My own math on the resource came up with 978 for the same resource. This is on Ahazi and not figuring in resource caps. Did some other searches and it looks like the same thing the ratings are not coming up right.

Known issue? Or am I just still asleep?

Thanks,

Okoto
First, more details, please.

Second, do you possibly count with 1/3=0.333333... while this site uses 0.33 and no more, that would make up for 1% difference which for 978 is the difference you see.

Either way the resource sorting will be the same.

/Zimoon

Okoto
Novice Crafter

Post by Okoto » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:29 pm

Sure... Still waking up... here's the long version...

For the search:
Steel
Ahazi
All Planets
Uncheck - Only avail
Experimental %
CHECK - consider caps

For the resources I entered 33 on OQ, SR and UT.

Results I picked up were the same as with Consider Caps UNchecked. I expected a different list as there is a steel out that should be at 977 (using 33.0%), Carbneohepelikic Thoranium Steel, when Consider Caps is CHECKED. The 969 Rating is correct when using 33.0%.

Let know if you have any more questions & thanks for the quick reply!

Okoto
Okoto - Elder AS
OkotoJunior - Elder Jedi
EvilOkoto - Chef/Tailor
OkotoKariudo - DE
OkotoBuilds - Architect
--Ahazi

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:40 pm

If I search for Steel the top resource has, as you say, 969 for Ohaka, a Mustafarian Steel, with OQ/SR/UT = 990/948/998. Consider Caps consider the caps for Steel but Steel has no caps for SR and UT.

The Steel you are looking at is a Thoranium Steel and it has caps, actually as low as SR=715 and UT=658, and the Thoranium Steel named Carbneohepelikic only has OQ/SR/UT = 977/715/648 which indeed is 977 if you consider the cap for Thoranium Steel but a lousy 772 if you consider the cap of Steel.

Please, in the Beginners Guide for Traders in the General Crafting forum, read the section on Resource Cap once again to see how caps are considered in different cases. The guide also has links to lists of known caps.

Cheers

/Zimoon

Okoto
Novice Crafter

Post by Okoto » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:56 pm

heheheh Yeah I fully understand the resource caps :)

My expectation would be that the search would search for all steels and list them based on their adjusted resource cap.

What is the point of the Consider Resource cap option if you can't search when using it? Or does that check box only make the Rating number closer to 1000?

Thanks,

Okoto
Okoto - Elder AS
OkotoJunior - Elder Jedi
EvilOkoto - Chef/Tailor
OkotoKariudo - DE
OkotoBuilds - Architect
--Ahazi

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:47 am

If you search for Steel it considers the resource cap for Steel, nothing else.

If you do not enable 'consider caps' it will use 1000 as the cap.

What is the point in searching for Steel but you want to see the caps considered for the individual sub-classes? They can be very different. For example Rhodium Steel has caps SR/UT = 565/478 while Hardened Arveshium, Crystallized Bicorbantium Steel, Duralloy Steel, and Mustafarian Steel have no caps whatsoever on SR/UT. OQ has never a cap. If I need Steel I do certainly not want to see a Rhodium Steel kick out an awesome Duralloy Steel, would I? Why?

On the other hand, if you want to check what is currently worthwhile harvesting then I want to see their individual ranking, but that is what is presented in color at the page Current Resources, or in SWGAide with "All Resources" selected.

So my single question is, as said, why do one want to consider individual caps while searching for a more generic resource class?

Is there anything I am missing?

/Zimoon

Okoto
Novice Crafter

Post by Okoto » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:13 am

The new BM schematics take in to account each of the resource caps that I can find... so far... This has worked with components that required 'copper' and 'iron' where I used something like Mythra which has must lower caps than Conductive Borcarbitic and Axidite which has much lower caps than Kammris.

So searching for a generic copper, but considering resource caps to find out how they would stack up against resources with 1k caps is something that I would like to do.

Does that make a little more sense? :)

Thanks,

Okoto
Okoto - Elder AS
OkotoJunior - Elder Jedi
EvilOkoto - Chef/Tailor
OkotoKariudo - DE
OkotoBuilds - Architect
--Ahazi

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:19 am

I am sorry but I haven't done any BM items.

What you describe sounds like a bug in the game, that SOE Devs have left common practice behind.

I interpret it as: The schematic calls for Copper, but the schematic considers the sub-classes' caps rather than the one for Copper. Hmmm.

If that is so I believe we must consider an extra option: "Consider Caps of Sub-Classes"; or perhaps: "BM Schematics" and hope that the Devs will stay consistent with common practice in the future.

Sorry for the noise then.

/Zimoon

Okoto
Novice Crafter

Post by Okoto » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:33 am

Zimoon wrote:What you describe sounds like a bug in the game, that SOE Devs have left common practice behind.

I interpret it as: The schematic calls for Copper, but the schematic considers the sub-classes' caps rather than the one for Copper. Hmmm.
Yep... that has been my understanding for a long time as well. I happened to have some other resources in my inventory when crafting once and saw the green bar go to the top with a resource I didn't recognized. I did a test craft and was shocked to see that it experimented out to 100%.

This ONLY works with SOME of the BM schematics. But it's usually the ones that are really screwed up (like the DE ones) that it doesn't work on. Other schematics (harvesters for example) which call for Steel or Iron, do take in to account Generic resource caps, not type sub-class specific caps.

Okoto

PS I am hoping that they did it on purpose to give us more resources to craft capped consumables with since they require 10-1000 times the amount of resources of any other profession to craft.
Okoto - Elder AS
OkotoJunior - Elder Jedi
EvilOkoto - Chef/Tailor
OkotoKariudo - DE
OkotoBuilds - Architect
--Ahazi