Unavailable but still available

Discussion and suggestions regarding the site and/or forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Rommel
Intermediate Crafter

Unavailable but still available

Post by Rommel » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:06 am

We have had a few n00b's on bloodfin doing resources every once in a while and they like to misreport or mark thing unavailable that are still available.

Could a way be added to mark things back available beyond finding an admin?

This one guy marked a resource available 3 days ago and it is still in spawn...arg...

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Re: Unavailable but still available

Post by Monty Burns » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:21 am

Rommel wrote:We have had a few n00b's on bloodfin doing resources every once in a while and they like to misreport or mark thing unavailable that are still available.

Could a way be added to mark things back available beyond finding an admin?

This one guy marked a resource available 3 days ago and it is still in spawn...arg...

If you use the "pop up" (I have only tried it with this method) option to add resources for the planet, enter the resource name and "add the resource" it should bring up the stats for the original and give you a message:

The following resource(s) already exists on the chosen server/planet combination. If they were made available within the last 25 days, they will be marked as available once again:

Rommel
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Rommel » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:50 am

oh ok, time to talk to Zimoon now, I do all my updating with swgaide.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:28 am

I don't have any power over this site, besides some moderating.

However, could it be the case that this guy is trying to mark something as unavailable when the resource is wrongly added to a planet? He wants to remove it from the one planet only but does not realize that also marks it as unavailable galaxy-wide?

If so, throw him a mail and ask how you can help him, right? I know there are no helpful help pages, so he may very well have acted in good faith. I think Sobuno asked us for help but ...

I think a deep thought should be given the after-edit features. One thought is to empower players with a little more editing power, players with a decent register age plus a fair number of submission behind them.

/Z

Rommel
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Rommel » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:42 pm

I sent him a pm and he said he has been using swgaide and interplanetary survey droids and he is not sure why it would have marked it unavailable.

Might need to get him in contact with you.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:22 am

Sounds as a clever dude, using SWGAide ;)

If it is a flaw in the logic in SWGAide I need a way to reproduce the error, at least a detailed step-by-step how it manifests itself.

I thought I went over the issue where resources was marked unavailable in the case you only sent out droids for a few planets and the resource was not on one of these, I will look into it again, I just got an idea on how to improve that part of the code. Still have to get home from work first :P

/Zimoon

Newmoon
Novice Crafter

Post by Newmoon » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:30 pm

/wave Rommel
Yep, you've done it too, to tatooine, for a resource in the last 2 weeks ( water). The guy you mentioned did it to a few too. I went into *recent changes* and marked it available again. Not the recently unavailable link, which give ya the *coming soon* tag, just changes. I was able to resurrect it from there:)

Rommel
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Rommel » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:31 pm

Zimoon wrote:Sounds as a clever dude, using SWGAide ;)

If it is a flaw in the logic in SWGAide I need a way to reproduce the error, at least a detailed step-by-step how it manifests itself.

I thought I went over the issue where resources was marked unavailable in the case you only sent out droids for a few planets and the resource was not on one of these, I will look into it again, I just got an idea on how to improve that part of the code. Still have to get home from work first :P

/Zimoon
I always send out a full 10 droids for a resource when I do updates so I would probably never run into something like that.

Does your idea involve marking it back available if a ISD report's timestamp shows it as available after the time it was marked unavailable?

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:28 am

Actually SWGAide never needs to bother with "marking it back", if the resource is found in the reports but is not found in the downloaded export file from SWGCraft it will be uploaded whatsoever. The only glitch there is, that is if somebody marks something unavailable between the recentmost export file was compiled and you do the upload, should that happen SWGAide has no idea somebody made such a thing.

Should somebody upload the very same new resource while you are collecting data and submits a moment later you will get that dialog you were annoyed about.

However, there may be scenarios where asynchronous actions may cause issues and I am would be happy to get reports on exactly how that happened, that is, who did what in relation to each other.

/Zimoon