Verifying Resources or Updating a Spawn time

Discussion and suggestions regarding the site and/or forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Milla
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Milla » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:27 pm

Zimoon wrote:
Milla wrote:
Zimoon wrote: Is there really a reason to have resources "verified"?
/Zimoon
Is there really a reason NOT the have resources "verified"? Are people contributing to this site/the old site are infallible so they never make mistakes, never enter resources with typos or wrong stats? They are not. I also make mistakes sometimes, enter stats in the reverse order, or make a typo in a resource name, and so on. (This is why I asked for a Remove option, why fill up the database with mistyped resource names).

Verification provides a chance for other people to confirm / correct entries made by other contributors.

The reason why people verify other people's entries is irrelevant. The fact that they verify / correct those entries is important because it improves the credibility and usability of the database, regardless of whether they did it with the intent to help, or merely for the contribution score.
I guess we are talking about two different animals. I don't question whether it should be possible to edit erratic data. I ask why we should have the "old" way of "verifying" that gave 2 bonus points, since it many times was no real verification but just validating erratic data. Read the second sentence again: "it many times was no real verification but just validating erratic data." That was what often happened rather than people actually proof reading names and/or digits!

Of course we should be able to edit erratic data, why not?

/Zimoon
Hm, my mistake, the phrasing of my post was not clear enough.

Of course, I do not want a mere click-here-to-verify option. That's useless, and an open invitation to bonus point system abusers.

What I meant was: I'd like to see the return of resource verification by entering the same resource with the same stats.

The Remove option is a different story. On the old site you were able to remove your own entries (you could edit your stat and add a mandatory comment, but since Trokk is absent, no one will review your edited entry and finalize the changes, so the easiest way to handle such situations is to allow the user to remove their own entries).

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:02 pm

Then we are on the same page!
Your suggestion is a real verification, only possible to do by submitting the very same data a second time.

But, I believe that happened at the old site too, but the differences did not stand out that sharp that many a times the user just hit 'OK' to get past the next screen.

That also often introduced two similar names, such as both "Hansoloisshy" and Hansoloishy" were both entered with the same or almost the same stats. This could actually be tracked automatically, a too similar name at the same galaxy with the same stats (within some slack) could trigger an alarm. Possible future enhancement :)

Notice, I only questioned the feature to stir up some pros and cons! I am quite neutral in myself 8)

/Z

Milla
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Milla » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:39 am

I noticed something strange:

Many resources have now a contributor/verifier (XXXX/YYYY) on my server pages, but the system does not seem to work consistently. (Or is it meant to work at all?).

Sobuno, could your verify it or give us an update as to why certain resources get verified and why others not?

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:07 am

Could you give a specific example?

Milla
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Milla » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:29 am

Here it is:

FarStar/Endor:

Amorphous Gemstone
*NEW*Durohiopivi, Sedrellium Amorphous Gemstone (Ersa Litros / Ljoe) (Unavailable)

It appears as if Ljoe had verified the entry that Ersa Litros made.

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:57 am

Milla wrote:Here it is:

FarStar/Endor:

Amorphous Gemstone
*NEW*Durohiopivi, Sedrellium Amorphous Gemstone (Ersa Litros / Ljoe) (Unavailable)

It appears as if Ljoe had verified the entry that Ersa Litros made.
Odd, I'll have a look into it later

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Re: Verifying Resources or Updating a Spawn time

Post by Monty Burns » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:21 pm

So what has happened with verification, will it return or has it been dropped completely?

From my point of view I liked the idea of having it as a back up check but its not a game breaker if it never returns however if it isn't coming back how about removing references to it in area's such as the "Find Resources" section (the check box).

PS. I was not sure whether I was resurrecting a dead thread or not since this one was stickied.