Verifying Resources or Updating a Spawn time

Discussion and suggestions regarding the site and/or forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Slyvampy
Lead Developer

Verifying Resources or Updating a Spawn time

Post by Slyvampy » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:58 am

Quick question,

Ive changed the verification code within the current resources to show the following rule set: (i believe this is the same as swgcraft.com).

You can now verify someone else's input
(Same as swgcraft)

You can NOT verify your own resource input
(New on swgcraft.co.uk)

You can ONLY verify a resource that has stats
(Same as swgcraft)

You CAN NOT verify a resource that has been verified already
(Same as swgcraft)

Now my question is to you DO you want to beable to RE-Verify a resource?
The database has been coded to allow if needed the above question, however do you wish for this to be displayed? and or displayed in a seperate place on the website? I was thinking if we use this infomation to display within the view(edit) resource section on the resource information/details part.

Your thoughts and comments please....
Slyvampy
Founder, SWGCraft.org
http://www.swgcraft.org

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:29 am

I think it should show the number of times the resource has been verified as a resource that has been verified more than once is more reliable. You should not be able to verify a resource that you have already verified though

xorbok
Forum Moderator

Post by xorbok » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:31 am

I would agree with sobuno, besides, it gets frustrating taking the time to get all the info about the resources together just to find that it has already been entered and verified and all your work was absolutely worthless. At least this way you get a feeling of doing something.
ImageImage

Slyvampy
Lead Developer

Post by Slyvampy » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:00 pm

well the data is in the database for that, so displaying the number of times it has been verifed is not a problem.
Slyvampy
Founder, SWGCraft.org
http://www.swgcraft.org

Mopreme187
Novice Crafter

Post by Mopreme187 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:54 am

i added to resources today and none of them got verified. not sure if i done it wrong. but just thought i would say

gelgamesh
Apprentice Crafter

Post by gelgamesh » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:57 am

I agree with Xorbok and I love the avatar. Where can I get one like it?
And Mop, I'll verify if you're on Radiant...Where are you BTW?

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:28 am

Mopreme187 wrote:i added to resources today and none of them got verified. not sure if i done it wrong. but just thought i would say
Firstly, when adding resources yourself they will not get them verified. That happens when somebody else "verifies" that your submission is correct.

Secondly, I think the "verify" thingie is not yet implemented, but must admit I am not sure about that.

/Z

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:40 am

Zimoon wrote:
Mopreme187 wrote:i added to resources today and none of them got verified. not sure if i done it wrong. but just thought i would say
Secondly, I think the "verify" thingie is not yet implemented, but must admit I am not sure about that.

/Z
Zimoon as correct

Zbignew
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Zbignew » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:08 pm

In my opinion, the verification system on SWGcraft was always flawed because the stats came up automatically when the name was entered. I would suggest 2 verification types. 1 to verify stats (verifyer must enter stats) and a seperate one to merely confirm its existence on that planet .

Zbig
Proji--------------------------Syotr
Wannabe Droid Engineer-- Wannabe Ranger

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:46 pm

Zbignew wrote:In my opinion, the verification system on SWGcraft was always flawed because the stats came up automatically when the name was entered. I would suggest 2 verification types. 1 to verify stats (verifyer must enter stats) and a seperate one to merely confirm its existence on that planet .

Zbig
I agree that the system was flawed. Many a times some resource was "verified" but still in error. I have run into as well misspelled names as grossly wrong stats for resources that were "verified". Could it be those extra 5 points? I believe not but just plain laziness or ignorance.

To verify anything both name and stats should be added a second time.

On the other hand, I never paid much attention to whether anything was verified or not. Were I interested in something I double checked anyway. It was not often my interest crossed one of those faulty reports.

Hence, maybe better just skip the verify thingie altogether. Or am I a minority on that one?

/Z

Zbignew
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Zbignew » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:54 am

Zimoon wrote: Many a times some resource was "verified" but still in error./Z

I may have been guilty of that myself a few times, I merely wished to indicate its availability on a given planet. No time to actually sample.
Zimoon wrote: Hence, maybe better just skip the verify thingie altogether. Or am I a minority on that one?/Z
It probably is superfluous, especially with the few surveyors left.

Zbig
Proji--------------------------Syotr
Wannabe Droid Engineer-- Wannabe Ranger

Milla
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Milla » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:42 am

Will verification be reactivated?

Apparently, a few other people also contribute to the resource pages of my server, I'm just wondering if verification will be re-activated/implemented on the 'ex-development-now-regular' resource pages.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:41 pm

Milla wrote:Will verification be reactivated?

Apparently, a few other people also contribute to the resource pages of my server, I'm just wondering if verification will be re-activated/implemented on the 'ex-development-now-regular' resource pages.
Is there really a reason to have resources "verified"?

It is one thing to have other players being able to edit erratic stats. It is another animal to have "verification" and a few points given for that. What I meant a few posts above is that "verification" did not work as supposed to, whether that was from ignorance, rush, or whatever, there was no guarantee the verification was valid.

/Zimoon

Milla
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Milla » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:47 pm

Zimoon wrote:

/Zimoon
Is there really a reason NOT the have resources "verified"? Are people contributing to this site/the old site are infallible so they never make mistakes, never enter resources with typos or wrong stats? They are not. I also make mistakes sometimes, enter stats in the reverse order, or make a typo in a resource name, and so on. (This is why I asked for a Remove option, why fill up the database with mistyped resource names).

Verification provides a chance for other people to confirm / correct entries made by other contributors.

The reason why people verify other people's entries is irrelevant. The fact that they verify / correct those entries is important because it improves the credibility and usability of the database, regardless of whether they did it with the intent to help, or merely for the contribution score.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:54 pm

Milla wrote:
Zimoon wrote:

/Zimoon
Is there really a reason NOT the have resources "verified"? Are people contributing to this site/the old site are infallible so they never make mistakes, never enter resources with typos or wrong stats? They are not. I also make mistakes sometimes, enter stats in the reverse order, or make a typo in a resource name, and so on. (This is why I asked for a Remove option, why fill up the database with mistyped resource names).

Verification provides a chance for other people to confirm / correct entries made by other contributors.

The reason why people verify other people's entries is irrelevant. The fact that they verify / correct those entries is important because it improves the credibility and usability of the database, regardless of whether they did it with the intent to help, or merely for the contribution score.
I guess we are talking about two different animals. I don't question whether it should be possible to edit erratic data. I ask why we should have the "old" way of "verifying" that gave 2 bonus points, since it many times was no real verification but just validating erratic data. Read the second sentence again: "it many times was no real verification but just validating erratic data." That was what often happened rather than people actually proof reading names and/or digits!

Of course we should be able to edit erratic data, why not?

/Zimoon