Site Idea...

Discussion and suggestions regarding the site and/or forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Ruh
Apprentice Crafter

Site Idea...

Post by Ruh » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:15 am

I don't know the logistics behind it, but I'm sure it could have the potential to be pretty strenious on the server...but:

I was curious if there could be a feature added where a resource could be displayed in graphical format. Much in the way the expertise calculators now allow for you to show an image on the SWG forums of your expertise.

Hope that explains the idea fairly well...
Ruh [Bounty Hunter] - Ruh' [Smuggler] - Reh [Jedi] - Reh' [Spy] - Ryh [Medic] - Ryh' [Dancer] - Rih' [Commando] - 'Rih [Officer]
ShiodIndustries [Domestics] - ShiodInduztries [Engineer] - ShiodIndustriez [Architect] - ShiodInduztriez [Munitions]
Starsider

Sobuno
Developer

Re: Site Idea...

Post by Sobuno » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:51 am

Ruh wrote:. Much in the way the expertise calculators now allow for you to show an image on the SWG forums of your expertise.
Could you provide an example of this?

Ruh
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Ruh » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:17 pm

Sobuno wrote:
Ruh wrote:. Much in the way the expertise calculators now allow for you to show an image on the SWG forums of your expertise.
Could you provide an example of this?
Sure.

Here is a link to my Domestics Trader's Expertise:
[LINK]

Here is a graphical display of the same:

Code: Select all

http://www.oekevo.org/expertisecalculator/Banner.php?e=e6f14e4b1dd-c1ba404-0-4)
Here is a link to "Daklo", a current spawn of Corellian Domesticated Rice on Starsider:
[LINK]

Is there a way to create a "show_resource_img.php" file that would display a graphical representation. Most ideally something like what comes up in "find a resource":
[LINK]

It has been awhile since I have touched PHP and MySQL, but I imagine it would wreak havoc on such a DB intensive website (constant queries to the DB to produce the information for the image and producing the image in general). However, I wasn't sure and thought I would ask.

Would be a nice tool for displaying resource on the forums for either sale or showing what someone needs harvested, etc.
Ruh [Bounty Hunter] - Ruh' [Smuggler] - Reh [Jedi] - Reh' [Spy] - Ryh [Medic] - Ryh' [Dancer] - Rih' [Commando] - 'Rih [Officer]
ShiodIndustries [Domestics] - ShiodInduztries [Engineer] - ShiodIndustriez [Architect] - ShiodInduztriez [Munitions]
Starsider

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:54 pm

It could be done, but I am not quite sure what amount of disk space we have available.

And yes, it would pretty much kill the database if it had to be generated on each request. It could be generated on the first request and stored, then be updated with a set interval (like 24 hours) or something like that.

I don't know how much need for it there is, since you can just show resources the following way (The CTRL+C thingy on http://www.swgcraft.co.uk/dev/show_reso ... ?id=810459)

Testresourcetwomillion, Corellian Wind Renewable Energy (Entered by Sobuno)
OQ=2 (0.4%), PE=1 (0.2%)
» Marked as available on Corellia 26 d ago ago by Sobuno

Ruh
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Ruh » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:07 pm

Sobuno wrote:It could be done, but I am not quite sure what amount of disk space we have available.

And yes, it would pretty much kill the database if it had to be generated on each request. It could be generated on the first request and stored, then be updated with a set interval (like 24 hours) or something like that.

I don't know how much need for it there is, since you can just show resources the following way (The CTRL+C thingy on http://www.swgcraft.co.uk/dev/show_reso ... ?id=810459)

Testresourcetwomillion, Corellian Wind Renewable Energy (Entered by Sobuno)
OQ=2 (0.4%), PE=1 (0.2%)
» Marked as available on Corellia 26 d ago ago by Sobuno
:oops: lol, I saw that and I don't know why it didn't occur to me to just use that instead.

Much easier on the server and more customizable. My worry was I have in the past mis-posted resource stats because I did something out of order when I tried to copy it over. But the feature already it place already addresses that.

Great work :D!
Starsider