Upgrades

Ask & answer questions, submit ideas or post guides on the Shipwright Expertise.

Moderators: Savacc, Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

wrackspurt
Advanced Crafter

Upgrades

Post by wrackspurt » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:40 pm

Okay, I'm not sure if this is in the right forum or if the question has already been answered because I didn't see anything about it, but I notice when making a lot of ship parts, they have upgraded parts marked as optional in the schematics. Question is where do you get these upgrades? Are they something you have to build or loot, or does it imply modifying already existing parts?

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Re: Upgrades

Post by Savacc » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:48 pm

Shipwrights make all of the optional subcomponants. They are in your crafting tool right next to the final combines, that is, all the armor subcomponants are listed with armor, all booster supcomponants are listed with boosters, etc.
There are a couple Engine subcomponants that are gained from expertise.
There is a thread here started by Laidbacca where several shipwrights talk about the subcomponants we use.

wrackspurt
Advanced Crafter

Post by wrackspurt » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:08 pm

Thanks for that. I guess that should have been obvious, I just wasn't the grasping the concept. I was actually waiting for a schematic or part to show up literally called "Mark V Capacitor Upgrade." lol This is why I only dabble in ships. My main focus lately is on Beast Mastery, and I thought I was getting a handle on that, but then somewhat started talking about centrifuges, re-processors, etc., and I was like "WHAT?"

It's my curse. I really like sci-fi, but I'm terrible at science.

Laidbacca
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Laidbacca » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:14 pm

wrackspurt wrote:Okay, I'm not sure if this is in the right forum or if the question has already been answered because I didn't see anything about it, but I notice when making a lot of ship parts, they have upgraded parts marked as optional in the schematics. Question is where do you get these upgrades? Are they something you have to build or loot, or does it imply modifying already existing parts?
Do you want to use upgrades? Answer to that is yes, are some better than others? most definetly. The type you use can have a huge effect on your ships performance, understanding how the ship works will go along way to helping you build a better ship and will go a long way to making you then become a better pilot.

The guide has a list of parts/sub parts that are generally considered the prime sellers, there is room for customability with some subs and very little reason to use some at all. For the most part the description you see when you are crafting a sub will give you an idea of what it does, up to you then if thats what your looking for from your ship part, thankfully shippy's only have 1 sub to worry about per part unlike some of the other trader types who have multiple subs, some even needing a sub part to make another sub part to make another :|

wrackspurt
Advanced Crafter

Post by wrackspurt » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:00 pm

So for those shipwrights who sell components, do they usually put upgrades in them or not? Also I wonder why people who sell chassis' don't include the various components together so that somebody can buy a complete starfighter package or whatever? Is it not feasible or simply not profitable?

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:46 pm

I put subcomponants in everything. The one exception is a Mark I Droid interface, but thats only becasue the Mark I Droid Brain Upgrade is bugged, it doesnt allow you to experiment the Droid Speed. Everything else gets an upgrade part.

Some Shipwrights have tried selling "complete ship packages" by putting a chassis and all the parts needed into a backpack and listing that on a vendor. I have never done that except for special orders where I have discussed which parts I will be including with the pilot before hand. The system was totally designed for pilots to fully customize their ships, mix and match which parts they want to use. Most pilots really like that. So I have found it best to list chassis and parts and let the customer make their choices. Im always willing to answer questions and offer advice. :lol:

Laidbacca
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Laidbacca » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:04 am

wrackspurt wrote:So for those shipwrights who sell components, do they usually put upgrades in them or not? Also I wonder why people who sell chassis' don't include the various components together so that somebody can buy a complete starfighter package or whatever? Is it not feasible or simply not profitable?
Allways put an upgrade in, just checkout what ones will suit you best, they are for the most part no brainers. Armour = protection, boosters = speed, cap = recharge, DI = speed, engine = performance (just depends on these what kind), reactor = gen rate, weapons = damage.
The only ship chassis that is feasible for a complete package is a heavy variant, if i was for selling this i would include all parts up to mk4 with it. There is also a the NSX 1 program, its typically a totally crafted pvp capable ship ship setup which includes a B22 chassis, it includes a mk5 engine in it so is therefore only usable by master level pilots.