Question on Resource caps and head spinning

Ask & answer questions, submit ideas or post guides on the Shipwright Expertise.

Moderators: Savacc, Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

Oceans
Novice Crafter

Question on Resource caps and head spinning

Post by Oceans » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:59 pm

Trying not to necro older post. http://www.swgcraft.org/forums/viewtopi ... =16&t=2145

Zimoon, when you say Schematic is king, are you basically saying the schematic knows the caps for all resource types?

For example: I want to make a Rebel Incom Gunship Chassis. I have two Schematics. The schem calls for 60,000 steel on one insert box of the schem. The first schematic I use a Rhodium Steel. Does the Schematic automatically know that the cap on Rhodium Steel is MA 53, OQ 1000, SR 565, and the UT 478? If I filled the same insert on the second schematic with 60,000 Neutronium Steel, would the second schematic know what the caps are for Neut. Steel on MA, OQ, SR, and UT? I guess what I am asking is if I used a Rhodium Steel for that 60,000 insert box on the schematic, and my resource was MA 50(cap53), OQ 988(cap1000), SR 558(cap565) UT 465(cap478), the schem would know what the cap for Rhodium Steel is and apply those caps with all the rest of the resource ingrediants to weigh out the total?
Resource caps make my head spin too :(

Update: I have been reading on further down the posts and found this: http://www.swgcraft.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=674
This clears the clouds in my head more the more I read. Thanks for all the input you share with the peeps that have questions. If it wasn't for this website, I would still be out in left field with my thumb up my >>>

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Re: Question on Resource caps and head spinning

Post by Savacc » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:03 pm

Read this thread too on making Gunships
http://www.swgcraft.org/forums/viewtopi ... =16&t=2550

When Z' says, "the schematic is king" he means, if the schematic calls for Rhodium Steel, then use Rhodium Steel and the schematic will figure the caps. If the schematic calls for just "Steel" then use the best steel you can find. Rhodium is a crappy steel, so don't use it. You are most likely going to want to use a Durally Steel or a Mustafar Steel.

That first Thread is old. :roll: The only thing I would add about that thread is that we now know the resource bonus is +40, not 4%.

Oceans
Novice Crafter

Post by Oceans » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:56 pm

Ok. Thank you Savacc!

That was my question basically. The Schematic called for "Just" Steel. I didn't know if the schematic knew that Rhodium Steel was crappy, and would figure the caps for individual Steels no matter which kind I used. See what I am saying? I could have the best Rhodium Steel out there, but if the schem didn't know the caps for Rhodium, it would look crappy to the Schematic point of view. That was what was confusing me. Even with the best Rhodium Steel out there, it would pale in comparison to a Mustafar Steel at 1000 caps for OQ, SR, UT, HR, and 400 for MA in the schematics eyes. Thank you for making it easier to understand and helping me out! I really appreciate it!

On a separate note, I am still confused trying to weigh averages. I have read the beginners guide numerous times on this subject, but still cannot understand the terminology. The more I read the more I think I understand. On that gunship for instance. Every resource it calls for, I need to take every OQ, every SR, every UT, etc... and add them up individually together? For instance, take all the SR from all resources used and add them together. Then I take the weight the schematic calls for in usage, and divide that by that number? Gunship calls for SR 25%. I take all resources and add all the SR together and divide by 25%? Or, multiply by 0.25?
Sorry for being a youngling. I have confused myself again :( :D

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:48 pm

Yes, Savacc can read my mind :)
Schematic is king in the sense that if it calls for Steel it does not matter how good a Rhodium steel is in itself, what matters is how good it is as a generic steel, and at that it sucks.
steel.png
steel.png (11.73 KiB) Viewed 8395 times
Yes, to get that accurate number for a particular experimental line you must consider all resource slots altogether.

If the schematic has 8 slots you need to considerate all 8 slots in the formulas, that is how many units they call for. If 4 of them call for Steel and you decide to use the very same steel in all 4 you can adjust the formula accordingly, but if you use different steels... yeah, the messier it gets.

SWGAide, at The Laboratory panel, just displays one resource slot at a time and then it does not have to consider the amount. This means that if a certain slot calls for 10 units but another calls for 100 units the latter is 10 times more important than the first one, but still SWGAide gives a hint for both of them.

/Z

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:46 am

Oceans wrote:On a separate note, I am still confused trying to weigh averages. I have read the beginners guide numerous times on this subject, but still cannot understand the terminology. The more I read the more I think I understand. On that gunship for instance. Every resource it calls for, I need to take every OQ, every SR, every UT, etc... and add them up individually together? For instance, take all the SR from all resources used and add them together. Then I take the weight the schematic calls for in usage, and divide that by that number? Gunship calls for SR 25%. I take all resources and add all the SR together and divide by 25%? Or, multiply by 0.25?
Sorry for being a youngling. I have confused myself again :( :D
You need to add one more step to come up with a "Weighted Average", then there are two things you are not considering.

To get an "Average" you add all the numbers and divide by the number of numbers. That is you add 8 numbers together and divide by 8. This gives you a result that will be the exact middle, or average, of all 8 numbers.

A "Weighted Average" places other factors into the equation. One (that you are considering) is the experimental properties (or ratios). Dividing by 25% and multiplying by 0.25 are the same thing. Two things you are not considering in the weighted average are: Weighing for amounts and, your favorite, figuring the resource caps. A gunship uses 70k Steel, 20k ore and 10k of six other resources. That disparity in amounts is taken into account. That is, the Steel will matter more. Also, a gunship calls for Allum and Copper. Allum and Copper have caps on SR. Allum is capped at 900 and Copper at 800. Those caps will be considered in the "Weighted Average" for SR.

I gotta be honest with you. I would never sit down and try to figure a "weighted average" for something as big as a gunboat. There are just too many numbers. I would use "Shipwright's Little Helper" or SWGAide. :wink:

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:19 am

Savacc wrote:...I would use "Shipwright's Little Helper" or SWGAide. :wink:
Just that SWGAide does not yet present you with "weighed average" but just "average" per resource that matches a certain class the schematic calls for. It will come, it will come, right now I am in the final phase of making SWGAide "host independent" ... a fancy expression for "independent of where it is run" which in this context includes independent of where SWG is located :)

/Z