The Trouble With Y-Wings

Ask & answer questions, submit ideas or post guides on the Shipwright Expertise.

Moderators: Savacc, Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

varuflur
Novice Crafter

Re: The Trouble With Y-Wings

Post by varuflur » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:36 pm

i love the longprobe a good engine is a must and if your turning very tight back off on your power a bit and it helps alot. with a good sheild it can take one heck of a pounding

redwhitenblue
Apprentice Crafter

Post by redwhitenblue » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:27 pm

I haven't flown the Y-wing much since leveling as a pilot, at which time I loved it and had gotten used to the lack of manuverability. However, after I got my advanced X-wing I never flew anything else because I simply fell in love with it. I pulled out my old longprobe after gu9 but it had been so long since I flew it I couldn't tell how much better the manuverability was. Anyone else fly a Y-wing enough to have noticed the update?
Akhor Slaga, Architect; Akihawa Aceric, Chef
Catalina Market, Rori, Flurry
1548, 75, -5884

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:45 am

Yeah I leveled up a second pilot and this time I just stuck with a Z-95 High Mass until I could get the X-Wing Advanced.

During my first pilot development I found the Y-Wing Longprobe to be an excellent ship once you figured out how to fly it properly (speed adjustment etc.)

If anything though I think the X-Wing Advanced is perhaps over powered given that I can solo the corvette in it quite easily now I have 3xIncom Tricannon.

Chyyk
Novice Crafter

Post by Chyyk » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:28 am

Use the Heavy Z-95 all the way to Ace.
Once you have Aced tool up your Z-95 to the max starting with your gun (lv10 or lvl8 RE'd) amd ensure you can run full overload 4's.
Your Priority for any ship should be the following

Weapon
Engine
Reactor

the rest is filler :lol:

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:36 am

Chyyk wrote:Use the Heavy Z-95 all the way to Ace.
Once you have Aced tool up your Z-95 to the max starting with your gun (lv10 or lvl8 RE'd) amd ensure you can run full overload 4's.

Weapon
Engine
Reactor

Just wanted to say welcome around :D
/Zimoon

NaeBliss
Apprentice Crafter

Post by NaeBliss » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:08 pm

wrackspurt wrote: 8 repair kits later, I decided a Z-95 would be just fabulous. But what is the recipe for a "heavy" Z-95?
? I never use repair kits anymore, its not needed and could lower the hitpoints on your ship parts, just repair at space station, or escapepod /yes.

think only on POB's repair kits are needed, not sure about that.

And give the y-wing a chance! i like it a lot , just practice your skills.
(all ships have there cons and pro's A-wing, Bellabub, B-Wing, i like them all.)
greetz Naeb

wrackspurt
Advanced Crafter

Post by wrackspurt » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:02 am

Zimoon wrote:
Chyyk wrote:Use the Heavy Z-95 all the way to Ace.

Weapon
Engine
Reactor

Just wanted to say welcome around :D
/Zimoon
I'm guessing you only get good lvl 10 loot off Tier 6 ships, since the components I've gotten off of Tier 4 ships are almost always worse than my lvl 7 parts, yes? Also, I've heard people mention REed parts repeatedly, what exactly am I looking for when I'm doing a vendor search, as I don't recall seeing in the component descriptions anything about them being REed.

redwhitenblue
Apprentice Crafter

Post by redwhitenblue » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:01 pm

When you're searching ship parts on the bazaar you will see three basic flavors. Crafted items will usually have a 'created by so-and-so' unless it's been erased for various reasons. Raw parts that have not been RE'd will have a reverse engineering level in addition to the certification level. An RE'd part will be lacking both of these in their description. If you're looking for raw parts you can use spaceloot.org to see how good an item is, then find a SW to RE it for you. If it's for your toons on Flurry I can hook you up, my hubby has two traders that I play on occasion and I'm really starting to get into starship crafting.

As for the list of priorities in a ship I'm gonna have to add Capacitor to that list. If your capacitor isn't good enough it doesn't matter how awesome your weapons are since you won't be able to fire them much. My favorite is the collection MK IV, but depending on which ship you're flying all the collection caps are really good.
Akhor Slaga, Architect; Akihawa Aceric, Chef
Catalina Market, Rori, Flurry
1548, 75, -5884

Astari_Shipyards
Novice Crafter

Post by Astari_Shipyards » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:17 am

One thing to keep in mind is that there are two "tiers" of ships you're dealing with for each faction....the original generation of relatively balanced chassis that came with the first JTL upgrade, and the second batch of stuff that came with Rage of Wookies.

The first series were all placed on a scale where mass was balanced with maneuverability. One problem is that certain ships had specific roles that made them less useful for levelling as a pilot (2 seats on the regular Y-wing is cool, but doesn't help you move up the pilot boxes as well as...say...a dunelizard does over a scyk.

The later stuff had a lot more mass relative to maneuverability and made some steps of levelling pilot a lot easier. The heavy chassis (heavy starter variants, red TIE, Vaksai, , JSF, ARC, advanced X-wing) all similar maneuverability to their lightweight variants. This makes them overpowered or easy or more fun depending on how you look at it (it's a game and you should play whatever way is fun).

A lot of pilots got bored with the heavies and went back to old-school ships. I've remastered in a stock x-wing and a dunelizaed.

I think I posted the specific loadout on the forum somewhere, but my ultimate killing machine for pve was an advanced X-wing with 3 borstels, a level 8 QID engine, REd level 8 reward shield, REd level 10 capacitor. I was trying to get a black sun helmet for a while.....didn't feel like grinding those missions in a "challenging" ship.