The Trouble With Y-Wings

Ask & answer questions, submit ideas or post guides on the Shipwright Expertise.

Moderators: Savacc, Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

wrackspurt
Advanced Crafter

The Trouble With Y-Wings

Post by wrackspurt » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:09 pm

So doing the Rebel pilot thing and just moved up from Z-95 to Y-Wing, and the first thing you notice is how awful the manueverability is. Can that be improved at all? What would be the best way?

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Re: The Trouble With Y-Wings

Post by Savacc » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:31 pm

wrackspurt wrote:So doing the Rebel pilot thing and just moved up from Z-95 to Y-Wing, and the first thing you notice is how awful the manueverability is. Can that be improved at all? What would be the best way?
The best way would be to use a Heavy Z-95 instead. Second would be to continue to use the Z-95 till you can get an X-Wing. Third, fly the Y-Wing, but upgrade your engine as soon as you can and add the Imperial Droid command - Engine Overload.

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:32 pm

I flew the Y-Wing and Y-Wing longprobe for ages and grew to love them.

However no matter what I did there was nothing I could do to make a bomber fly like a fighter so in the end I went for speed, armour and the biggest meanest guns I could find so that my contact time was minimal and it worked very well right up until I got the X-Wing Advanced.
Savacc wrote:The best way would be to use a Heavy Z-95 instead. Second would be to continue to use the Z-95 till you can get an X-Wing. Third, fly the Y-Wing, but upgrade your engine as soon as you can and add the Imperial Droid command - Engine Overload.
The problem I had with the Heavy Z-95 was the lack of firepower, the one gun thing was rough against T3 and T4 ships.

Ozip
Novice Crafter

Post by Ozip » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:10 am

I agree with everything said. Best rebel tactict is High Mass Z-95 until Xwing Cert until Advanced X-wing (reward ship Kashyyk space station) cert. I always found the Y-Wing longprobe flew like a bus lol. I did fly it early on and liked the mass and firepower, but in the ends it's not a dogfighter. Always upgrade your components and ships as soon as you can when leveling. Also always use the highest droids/flight comps you can along with the highest astromech programs. A high mass z-95 with a borstel re and quantum ion drive re is pretty awsome! Of course by the time you get your borstel you'll be fliying an X or adv X.

Keep flying

wrackspurt
Advanced Crafter

Post by wrackspurt » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:10 pm

Really makes me wonder why they even put Y-Wings or TIE Bombers in the game, unless they were going to have missions where you actually do bombing runs (which would have been awesome and a nice change from dogfighting), and why they make it so tedious to get to X-Wing.

Laidbacca
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Laidbacca » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:33 pm

Some people do prefer flying the bomber type chassis so if nothing else it does cater for them, in pvp there is nothing as scary as chasing a Y wing LP only to have its tailgunner open up on you. The heavy Z or any heavy variant is more than enough to get you from tier 1 to master, there slightly unbalancing but /shrug.

wrackspurt
Advanced Crafter

Post by wrackspurt » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:33 am

Point is definitely taken. Had my ship completely wrecked outside the Imp base off Lok today. Actually saw from the cockpit my guns flying off my ship into the distance. 8 repair kits later, I decided a Z-95 would be just fabulous. But what is the recipe for a "heavy" Z-95?

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:02 am

It is possible (and easy) to make the Y-Wing into a very effective combat ship all you have to get used to is the lack of maneuverability, I have used a long probe quite successfully against T4 ships, the two guns and two missile packs make it easy to rip opposition apart and still take a hit.

The Z-95 Heavy is a nice agile ship but at lower levels you are somewhat disadvantaged by the single gun mount and the same problem reoccurs at upper levels, I found the Z-95H good against T1-T3 ships but at T4 and higher you just get pounded.

The Z-95H chassis sells for upward of 10 million credits on Sunrunner and I am really not sure it is worth that.

Laidbacca
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Laidbacca » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:45 am

wrackspurt wrote:Point is definitely taken. Had my ship completely wrecked outside the Imp base off Lok today. Actually saw from the cockpit my guns flying off my ship into the distance. 8 repair kits later, I decided a Z-95 would be just fabulous. But what is the recipe for a "heavy" Z-95?
1k iron and petro roids, bout 24k of steel, 12k ore and 6k of alum and fibreplast. Upgrade at every oppurtunity and try whenever possible to use an RE blaster, even one that is only thrown together.

wrackspurt
Advanced Crafter

Post by wrackspurt » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:54 pm

Hmm, and what level do you need to be to build that Heavy Chassis?

Ozip
Novice Crafter

Post by Ozip » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:03 am

wrackspurt wrote:Hmm, and what level do you need to be to build that Heavy Chassis?
Master shipwright

Ozip
Novice Crafter

Post by Ozip » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:08 am

wrackspurt wrote:Really makes me wonder why they even put Y-Wings or TIE Bombers in the game, unless they were going to have missions where you actually do bombing runs (which would have been awesome and a nice change from dogfighting), and why they make it so tedious to get to X-Wing.
Well on one of my characters, I managed to fly a longprode up to X-Wing cert. For maneuverability, I would throttle down to about 5/8-3/4 speed. This made a big difference in PYR. I also always had my booster ready so that I could get out of sticky situations. It also helped having another ship along on the really tough missions.

Saamm
Novice Crafter

Post by Saamm » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:04 pm

I find W-Wing very useful in PVP, when we started out we only had three novas each with a 5 manned crew (pilot, tech, engineer + 2 gunners) and an assorsment of fighters allowing our oposition to get in around us to the 2 personed Y-Wings were brilliant even now when we have about 6 POBs including GBs we still rely on Y-Team for our back-up, they are also good for mining and missiles.
Saamm - Master Droid Engineer, Unity
Manager of Promtheus Droid Lot, Promtheus, Lok
Euro-FarStar

Ozip
Novice Crafter

Post by Ozip » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:00 pm

Laidbacca wrote:Some people do prefer flying the bomber type chassis so if nothing else it does cater for them, in pvp there is nothing as scary as chasing a Y wing LP only to have its tailgunner open up on you. The heavy Z or any heavy variant is more than enough to get you from tier 1 to master, there slightly unbalancing but /shrug.
The Y-Wing Longprobe does not have a turret and thus cannot have a tailgunner. The regular Y-Wing does.

ciggofwar
Novice Crafter

Post by ciggofwar » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:07 am

I never bothered with the x-wing, once I get the longprobe I use it right up too adv x wing.
you can out fit the longprobe better than the x-wing has more mass.