Any reason to be a weaponsmith?

Ask & answer questions, submit ideas or post guides on the Weaponsmith Expertise.

Moderators: Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

BrassFarthing
Novice Crafter

Any reason to be a weaponsmith?

Post by BrassFarthing » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:09 pm

When I was in the game before (Launch to Jedi Village), I enjoyed the heck out of weaponsmithing. Now I see post after post telling how looted weapons are better than anything a WS can craft, making it sound as though weaponsmiths have become useless.

Is that actually the case? Did WS get completely obsolesced by loot?

I'm thinking about building up a WS again. But I don't want to go through the motions if the best I can possibly make will always be beat by the sidearm off a dead meatlump.

Has WS really gotten that bleak, or am I only getting part of the story?
[Wash] ----- Reading minds? That sounds like science fiction.
[Zoe] ----- We live on a spaceship, dear.
[Wash] ----- So?

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:50 pm

Its pretty much that bleak. :cry:

BrassFarthing
Novice Crafter

Post by BrassFarthing » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:14 pm

Wow, I'm very sorry to hear that!
But thank you for the answer.
[Wash] ----- So?

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:32 am

On the upside we have seen comments from the Devs (was it at the Fan Faire?) that they are very much aware of the situation and will address it somehow. No promises. No when. No nothing. Just "we know".
/Z

Savacc

Post by Savacc » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:21 am

Seems to me that the devs decided that weaponsmiths were way too good, and made weapons that did more damage then the devs anticipated. So their answer was to nerf WS to the point no one would want to use a crafted weapon. They didnt want crafters ruining their game again. :roll:

BrassFarthing
Novice Crafter

Post by BrassFarthing » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:10 pm

Savacc wrote:Seems to me that the devs decided that weaponsmiths were way too good, and made weapons that did more damage then the devs anticipated. So their answer was to nerf WS to the point no one would want to use a crafted weapon. They didnt want crafters ruining their game again. :roll:
Curious stragety, since (well, for me, anyway) crafting is the only thing about SWG that differentiates it from the bazillion other alt-flavored Unrealdoomwolfensteins out there.

Crafting-as-an-afterthought in other games is what made me miss SWG and ultimately come back. (Dev's: "Oh yeah, looky here... you boring non-uber-prawning freaks can also... you know... make some stuff, 'n whatever.")

I sure hope they fix WS, even if I don't end up making another one.
[Wash] ----- So?

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:17 pm

Savacc wrote:Seems to me that the devs decided that weaponsmiths were way too good, and made weapons that did more damage then the devs anticipated. So their answer was to nerf WS to the point no one would want to use a crafted weapon. They didnt want crafters ruining their game again. :roll:
Though I do not see a smiley for irony or alike I assume you were, right?

Otherwise, is there any word later than the Fan Faire spreading some light on this loaded topic?

/Z

Savacc

Post by Savacc » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:53 am

I love this game Z, but I hate some of the things that have been done to it. If I had been a weaponsmith, I dont know if I could have kept playing after the NGE. You were a Doctor before the CU, when this game had real medical crafting. You came back after the devs killed your profession. I dont know if I could have.

thegreywolfe
Advanced Crafter

Re: Any reason to be a weaponsmith?

Post by thegreywolfe » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:54 pm

BrassFarthing wrote:When I was in the game before (Launch to Jedi Village), I enjoyed the heck out of weaponsmithing. Now I see post after post telling how looted weapons are better than anything a WS can craft, making it sound as though weaponsmiths have become useless.

Is that actually the case? Did WS get completely obsolesced by loot?

I'm thinking about building up a WS again. But I don't want to go through the motions if the best I can possibly make will always be beat by the sidearm off a dead meatlump.

Has WS really gotten that bleak, or am I only getting part of the story?
Until they fix it, there is only one purpose to weaponsmithing. There are a couple of weapons that are ok, but gain much value when crafted with a socket for adding the attachments. Otherwise, not much point.

xorbok
Forum Moderator

Post by xorbok » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:38 am

ITs not bad for grinding power bits, and there is much money to be made doing that. Powerbits, powerups, and weapon attachments. Not really much for a once great crafting class, but it will pay the bills, and hopefully get a few to hang in there until it gets un-nerfed (crossfingers)
ImageImage

thegreywolfe
Advanced Crafter

Post by thegreywolfe » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:40 pm

xorbok wrote:ITs not bad for grinding power bits, and there is much money to be made doing that. Powerbits, powerups, and weapon attachments. Not really much for a once great crafting class, but it will pay the bills, and hopefully get a few to hang in there until it gets un-nerfed (crossfingers)
That's more or less what I'm doing, but mainly to raise funds to pay for my BM work.

xase
Novice Crafter

Post by xase » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:58 am

There are some Commando weapons which can be sold very good.

for example the heavy acid rifle.

I produced a factory crate of 50 acid rifles and they were sold out within 30-40 days.

Also the cube Schematic weapons could be sold very good.
For example the crafted SFOR Carbine or the crafted Disruptor Rifle. But you have to get a lot of glowing items to craft it. But you can sell it for round about 2-3 million
Xasi Zoly
13 pt. Imperial Master Armorsmith
R.I.S. Certificated
Custom Orders only
13 pt. Master Weaponsmith
Xasi´s Master Armorsmith Guide in German

Feralmonkey
Artisan Forum Moderator

Post by Feralmonkey » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:39 am

I know a lot of people that use a disruptor rifle!
Kerrimumykamm Former Master Jedi Ahazi
Feralmonkey Former Master Domestics Ahazi

Feralmonkey play tester of Basilisk on the EMU
Feralmonkey Master Rifles but doing the Hologrind on Exile of the EMU

I helped uncover the Stormtubber plot with Eevaa

Memnoc
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Memnoc » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:14 am

AS IF !!!!!!!!

Fedacorr
Novice Crafter

Post by Fedacorr » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:15 pm

It might be a bit misleading to say 'looted weapons' are better. The generic run of all levels 'looted weapons' are not better at all. They're tolerable, but due to low minimum damage, compared to crafted weapons of similar level, they're inferior.

Where the weapons crafter loses out is the top end (where the big money is, of course), as the 'best' weapons are now all loot from various bosses, things like the Devastator Lava Cannon, AK Prime, etc, etc. Also the Cube produced weapons, in many cases.

It would certainly be nice if the old 'top end' crafted weapons like the T21 got tweaked so they were at least 'close' to the master weapons in damage, and could be sold as a 'good enough' weapon for the newly high level person who can't afford the mega goodies yet.