New WS with a Question

Ask & answer questions, submit ideas or post guides on the Weaponsmith Expertise.

Moderators: Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

Olgoat
Novice Crafter

New WS with a Question

Post by Olgoat » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:37 pm

Greetings all. I just recently finished stocking up on all the resources I needed to start producing quality weapons on my munitions trader. And by recently I mean the 20th lol. I noticed in an earlier post where people were having issues with "amazings". The date was the 29th of Novemeber if I recall correctly. Anyway, I have consistantly been able to produce 100/77.01 cores with the occasional unlucky breaks of those amazings eluding me. So far it hasn't been to a point where I am discouraged by any means, out of the 33 "rare" schem weapons I have completed, I have only had 4 cores turn out not so hot and I had to start over with the bits and all. By "rare" I mean P-8's, DD6, Elite Tuskans, etc... (I had quite a few schems on hand from all my heroic runs and collection grinding) I was wondering if other WS's out there are still having issues with amazings like was mentioned earlier. Or do I need to craft more before I start asking these things lol :)

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: New WS with a Question

Post by Zimoon » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:19 pm

Hi O,

And congrats. You seem to have picked up speed just fine :D

I am no WS so I should perhaps shut up. However, I followed (read) several threads at the official forums on the "nerf" topic but in the end I concluded it was more noise than sense. Even if some were quite vocal the lack of uproar seems to support the consensus that there has always been fluctuations for individuals. Not 100% sure but I figure some happened to have a bad day or even a bad week and made quick conclusions, too quick maybe.

It is always sad when there is a mishap, and I believe that possibility must be communicated with the "client" before the deal. And if the WS feels it is better safe than sorry, OK, that is his call and the client has to move along.

I might be totally wrong on this, absolutely out of touch, yes :)
However, over the years I have seen so many of these SOE-screwed-it-up-big-time threads, some has had substance and has been addressed quite quick by SOE, others has imploded. Let's say I am .... eeeh .... quietly listening most of the times 8)

/Zimoon

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:13 am

Olgoat wrote:Greetings all. I just recently finished stocking up on all the resources I needed to start producing quality weapons on my munitions trader. And by recently I mean the 20th lol. I noticed in an earlier post where people were having issues with "amazings". The date was the 29th of Novemeber if I recall correctly. Anyway, I have consistantly been able to produce 100/77.01 cores with the occasional unlucky breaks of those amazings eluding me. So far it hasn't been to a point where I am discouraged by any means, out of the 33 "rare" schem weapons I have completed, I have only had 4 cores turn out not so hot and I had to start over with the bits and all. By "rare" I mean P-8's, DD6, Elite Tuskans, etc... (I had quite a few schems on hand from all my heroic runs and collection grinding) I was wondering if other WS's out there are still having issues with amazings like was mentioned earlier. Or do I need to craft more before I start asking these things lol :)
The "Amazings" issue arose around the time they added the Death Trooped content and it is a noticable change for those of us that were around prior to this, however it does not stop you producing top of the range stuff you just have to be prepared to throw away cores until you get the capped one.

Where this issue has had a negative impact is in the "made to order" weapons business as for the most part this has stopped altogether, many weaponsmiths do not want to risk a "failed" combine (ie getting a "greater success" on the first experiment) thus burning up some ones power bits and augmentations on what is effectively a substandard weapon as your customer will rarely thank you for this.

I know of around 10 weaponsmiths on my server that used to make to order now I only know of one still doing it which I think is a bad thing for the community on the whole.

Olgoat
Novice Crafter

Post by Olgoat » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:30 am

I appreciate the reply's. I think I have been lucky so far but most of my crafting has been either for myself or guild mates. For the orders I have filled thus far I have asked that my customers bring more than one aug/enh for the project if possible just in case I don't get a good core. I refuse to accept the schem until I get a core they are satisfied with. The one time my first core didn't make the cut, I offered it to them in another innate weapon free of charge. Since I am new to this I am really enjoying the challenge but it is nerve wracking crafting a weapon for someone. Those high end bits aren't easy or cheap to come by and the possibility of missing the cap is always waiting to pounce. My main goal here was to get a feel for the situation irt amazings. The input so far is outstanding and I thank you for it.

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:15 am

Olgoat wrote:I appreciate the reply's. I think I have been lucky so far but most of my crafting has been either for myself or guild mates. For the orders I have filled thus far I have asked that my customers bring more than one aug/enh for the project if possible just in case I don't get a good core. I refuse to accept the schem until I get a core they are satisfied with. The one time my first core didn't make the cut, I offered it to them in another innate weapon free of charge. Since I am new to this I am really enjoying the challenge but it is nerve wracking crafting a weapon for someone. Those high end bits aren't easy or cheap to come by and the possibility of missing the cap is always waiting to pounce. My main goal here was to get a feel for the situation irt amazings. The input so far is outstanding and I thank you for it.

As I have posted in other threads prior to the change I was getting about 4 out of 5 cores with the Amazing, Great, Amazing experimentation so there was always a high probability of getting a good core and it was not an issue to make to order.

These days I think the odds have reversed and I am happy to get a 1-2 in 5 success rate, now this isnt an issue if I am just using Augmentations as I usually supply them anyway or have a few in reserve if things go wrong but power bits on Sunrunner are expensive and I neither want the hassle of making a substandard core nor do I want the reputation that goes along with it.

I don't mind them upping the difficulty on some components and I am sure most will agree that the core is the logical one to increase on paper but the down stream consequences have I think made a pretty big dent in the Weaponsmoth market.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:43 pm

Thanks for clarifications MB, I must go review those threads at official forum once again. I do remember the Munitions Senator was not so negative though, but I may be wrong 8)

Cheers

/Zimoon

Olgoat
Novice Crafter

Post by Olgoat » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:31 pm

I've had a few friends in my guild who have had some weapons crafted recently by other smiths be very disapointed by the results. Mainly on things like an NSEL or a DD6. When I asked them about how the crafting went down, in most cases they went with someone who said they could guarantee a capped dps. From what I have seen so far in my crafting is that it's really impossible for anyone to say that. Granted you can go all out on core's until you get that special one but then you still have to score on the appearance which I have not been able to do yet. Most of my success came from the core. Just yesterday I crafted a P-8 and the end result was a 218-570 dmg and a 1165 dps. The core was a 100/77.01 but when I went for the appearance, I only scored a great in the first experiment on max damage, then went all out and put the rest of the points in max and min and scored an amazing. End result was a respectable gun imo but I would have really liked to have gotten that first amazing. I have some more questions I'll post in a bit but I have a few things I want to try first before I ask, just to see if it's a lack of experience on my end. But another question I'd like to ask is before this issue of amazings came up, were crafters able to guarantee "capped" dps? On my server, we have 4 smiths who are considered the best there is, I have done buisness with a couple of them and they have never ever said they could cap dps in any order I have placed. Of course after I learned the ropes I discovered that the damage range is my main concern anyway. Again, thanks for all the input.

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:57 pm

Olgoat wrote:I've had a few friends in my guild who have had some weapons crafted recently by other smiths be very disapointed by the results. Mainly on things like an NSEL or a DD6. When I asked them about how the crafting went down, in most cases they went with someone who said they could guarantee a capped dps. From what I have seen so far in my crafting is that it's really impossible for anyone to say that. Granted you can go all out on core's until you get that special one but then you still have to score on the appearance which I have not been able to do yet. Most of my success came from the core. Just yesterday I crafted a P-8 and the end result was a 218-570 dmg and a 1165 dps. The core was a 100/77.01 but when I went for the appearance, I only scored a great in the first experiment on max damage, then went all out and put the rest of the points in max and min and scored an amazing. End result was a respectable gun imo but I would have really liked to have gotten that first amazing. I have some more questions I'll post in a bit but I have a few things I want to try first before I ask, just to see if it's a lack of experience on my end. But another question I'd like to ask is before this issue of amazings came up, were crafters able to guarantee "capped" dps? On my server, we have 4 smiths who are considered the best there is, I have done buisness with a couple of them and they have never ever said they could cap dps in any order I have placed. Of course after I learned the ropes I discovered that the damage range is my main concern anyway. Again, thanks for all the input.
No one in their right mind will claim they can cap a weapon these days unless they ask for 5 power bits and augmentations when in the past you could have done it with 2 sets and would have been unlucky to have used the 2nd set, so yes it was possible to guarantee a capped weapon prior to the changes.

stravos
Novice Crafter

Post by stravos » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:53 pm

congrats on your cores, basically it comes down to resources on that server.

the only true capped weapons on my server are being done with cross server trade resources

Olgoat
Novice Crafter

Post by Olgoat » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:05 pm

Well, now I am feeling the frustration. Thankfully it was while crafting weapons for my alt's. Went through 6 different melee cores and 6 ranged cores before I called it a day. Spent the rest of the day trying to loot/buy back what I used up. Melee cores never went over 100/70.03 :? Ranged cores never hit higher than 100/73.45 :x
Lol, I was nervous before when filling orders, now it's going to be worse. I couldn't hit an amazing to save my life!

thegreywolfe
Advanced Crafter

Post by thegreywolfe » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:45 pm

Olgoat wrote:Well, now I am feeling the frustration. Thankfully it was while crafting weapons for my alt's. Went through 6 different melee cores and 6 ranged cores before I called it a day. Spent the rest of the day trying to loot/buy back what I used up. Melee cores never went over 100/70.03 :? Ranged cores never hit higher than 100/73.45 :x
Lol, I was nervous before when filling orders, now it's going to be worse. I couldn't hit an amazing to save my life!
Lol, that's the way it goes. I do recommend making sure you are pumping your assembly skill when you do it. Between that and drinking a ton of bespin port while only doing one box of experimentation at a time, seems to get me a few amazings.

Seldom_Bored
Novice Crafter

Post by Seldom_Bored » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:50 am

Monty Burns wrote: No one in their right mind will claim they can cap a weapon these days unless they ask for 5 power bits and augmentations when in the past you could have done it with 2 sets and would have been unlucky to have used the 2nd set, so yes it was possible to guarantee a capped weapon prior to the changes.
I must disagree here. Nobody can ever guarantee 100% that they will get a capped weapon in one try. They may guarantee capped max damage, but never dps. To guarantee capped dps would mean that you have to get five amazings in a row. While it does sometimes happen, there is no way to guarantee it. Even before the supposed nerf to amazings. Anyone who guarantees a capped weapon first try is just saying so so that you will go to them.