Really dumb question, but gotta know

Ask & answer questions, submit ideas or post guides on the Weaponsmith Expertise.

Moderators: Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

EeheeStructureTrader
Novice Crafter

Really dumb question, but gotta know

Post by EeheeStructureTrader » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:43 pm

What is the difference between weaponsmith-muntion and weaponsmith-engineer? what can u make different between the 2. considering making a new acct and 1 will be weaponsmith but unable to decide due to the 1st question. Really just looking for weapon attachments and making weapon pups. can u also make weapons with both classes?

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Re: Really dumb question, but gotta know

Post by Savacc » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:09 pm

Since what you want is to make Weapon Attachments and PuPs, then you need to be an Engineer Trader. If you wanted to make the Weapons themselves, you would need to be a Munitions Trader.

Back when the RE process was introduced, it made sense for Domestic Traders to make the Clothing Attachments. Munitions were given the Armor Attachments. For Engineers to have a piece of the pie and not be totally left out, Engineers were given the Weapon Attachments. Structures already had their own RE game.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:45 am

... but the only weapon handed to DEs was the Decorative Knife. Eeh, right, "decorative", but it can take a SEA, though hardly cuts butter 8)

Paria
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Paria » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:42 am

Also 14 units of the worst metal you have is great for a Decorative Survival Knife :D
It seems that socket is easy to get without any assembly bonus.

Borderlad
Novice Crafter

Post by Borderlad » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:27 pm

I want to make sure I understand correctly...

Trader/Engineers only have one weapon they can make? (The Decorative Survival Knife)
- and from what I've read, that one weapon is useful for power bits & SEAs, but not useful as a weapon...
- and Trader/Engineers have three expertise boxes (9 points) available for weaponsmithing...

If I have misunderstood, somebody please correct me.
But if I understand correctly, the nicest thing I can say is... -Wow. :shock:
"I never heard of a board attacking anybody." - B. Lee

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:42 pm

You are correct. :wink:
My Shipwright uses the "Decorative Knife" (renamed "Hydro-Spanner") with Crafting SEAs on it. :lol:

When the NGE started, Engineer Traders were kind of short changed. The other three Trader Professions had two of the old crafting professions, while Engineer only had Droid Engineer plus Master Artisan. Some dev thought giving Engineer Traders a few Weapon Schematics would be compensation. That is why Engineers have Weapon Expertise options. It was a terrible idea. GU12 was intended to actually right this wrong, giving Engineers a lot more droids and Cybernetics to make.

Im not an Engineer, so someone else can correct me if Im wrong here, but I thought the few Weapon Schematics were removed from Engineer a while ago (Ch 8 maybe?). My understanding is that Engineers have Expertise for making Cybernetics now, do they still really have the Weapon Expertise options too?

Borderlad
Novice Crafter

Post by Borderlad » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:29 pm

Hehehe - excellent rename on that knife! :lol:

You may well be correct about the expertise boxes for Trader/Engineer, Savacc. I do not yet have the extra cashflow to re-activate my account, so I'm not back in the game yet and can not eyeball it for myself yet (but things are looking up, so hopefully soon). The expertise boxes I'm looking at are on Oekevo's expertise calculator. Possibly there have been changes that haven't been updated on that site, yet.

Thank you very much -everyone- for the answers and information!
"I never heard of a board attacking anybody." - B. Lee

Paria
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Paria » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:30 am

Savacc wrote:Im not an Engineer, so someone else can correct me if Im wrong here, but I thought the few Weapon Schematics were removed from Engineer a while ago (Ch 8 maybe?). My understanding is that Engineers have Expertise for making Cybernetics now, do they still really have the Weapon Expertise options too?
There is just one innate weapon schematic: Decorative Knife.
Most "weaponsmith" boxes of Engineer extertise were replaced by the new Cybernetic boxes, except for the two ones at the end of the tree:
. make SEA for weapons
. craft a weapon with a socket
These boxes cost 1 point each and requires 16 points (no other pre-requisites) like before.
Arnh Stardust (Armorsmith or Shipwright) & Mamaria (Droids and Beasts crafter) in ORION on Lok (Chimaera server).

dmac1024
Novice Crafter

Post by dmac1024 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:52 am

Engineers had to have something to RE, so they got the decorative knife. I don't think that it was ever meant to be used as a weapon, just something for reiteration. But they had a fair amount of weapon schems in the past. I think it was the GU that saw a revamp of Munitions and the weapon cores. Munitions lost grenades as a schematic ( :cry: ) and Engineers were left with the droid expertise and no other tree. Then they showed some love to engineers to introduce craftable cybernetics.

I still wish I could make grenades. Although I made a mint on grenades shortly after the GU and I had made a small run of plasma grenades :)