New to armorsmithing, powerbits and sockets.

Ask & answer questions, submit ideas or post guides on the Armorsmith Expertise.

Moderators: Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

Swedishoyster
Intermediate Crafter

New to armorsmithing, powerbits and sockets.

Post by Swedishoyster » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:37 am

Hello, I'm fairly new to armorsmithing and I read the stickies on the forums etc, but this problem is annoying me, I do have a theory what's wroing but I need confirmation and hard numbers plz.

Problem: When I make a armor chest plate and put in a (exotic) powerbit (for example +armor assembly) I don't get a socket. I do have an ent buff, and if I put in a non exotic (constitution for example) I get a socket.

My theory, need verification: Since I'm new to AS I don't have a AS suit (that's what I'm trying to make here) Do I need to have a certain amount of +Armor Assembly to be able to make both an exotic power bit while crating AND a socket? What amount, some in my guild thought 160 but wasnt sure.

So what I need to know is the hard facts here, do I need more +Armor assembly (or something else) and what value do I need to be 100% certain of succes (+35 bits arent cheap you know).

I have a +15 carfting tool, +44.999 station and inside a city with crafter's bonus. My current +Armor assembly (with ent buff) is 132.
Sork Inc. Perdition, Dantooine
Hunterella, Architect/Armorsmith - Sorkella, Ranger/Riflewoman
Snufsan, Tailor/Chef/x - Healerella, Doctor
Bimborella, Swordswoman/Medic - Sniperella, Rifle/BE

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: New to armorsmithing, powerbits and sockets.

Post by Zimoon » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:55 am

Yes, you need AS Assembly 160+ to be "warranted" a socket, it is all about the assembly, not Luck.

I just updated Reverse Engineering 101 with that info, previously it just read that assembly is the important modifier.

/Zimoon

Swedishoyster
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Swedishoyster » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:16 am

Thanks for the swift reply :-)

Kirneh
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Kirneh » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:32 pm

Sorry for hitchhiking this thread, but it seems to fit to my problem.

I have a pre-cu AS suit with sockets loaded on armor assembly and experimentation.
Pre-CU any 10 points on exp stats leads to 1 more point experiment on the product. Due to my suit, I have arround 150 points on experimentation, but still only 12 actual points to experiment.

Is there a know bug to that or are the 14p suits gone?
Burn the land, boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me!

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:25 pm

All suits cap at +25 Experimentation Skill and +2 Experimentation Points.
Skill from leveling gets you +100 Skill and +10 Points
Expertise gets you +10 Skill and +1 Point
So for Munitions Traders, 13 is the most Experimentation Points you can get to spend.

Chefs and Architects can get +6 more Skill from the Diner or their Helper Monkey. So if they have +24, or more, on their Suits, they can get +14 points. No one else gets a building like the Diner, and all other Helper Monkeys only give +2 to Skill (not enough to gain another point).

Shipwrights start with 150 Skill and +15 Points on 3 of the 7 Skills they have, so on those 3 they can be 18 Point Shippies.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:26 pm

Kirneh wrote:Sorry for hitchhiking hijacking this thread, but it seems to fit to my problem.

I have a pre-cu AS suit with sockets loaded on armor assembly and experimentation.
Pre-CU any 10 points on exp stats leads to 1 more point experiment on the product. Due to my suit, I have arround 150 points on experimentation, but still only 12 actual points to experiment.

Is there a know bug to that or are the 14p suits gone?
Nope, but there is a known cap, the same cap that has always been there.

/Zimoon

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:27 pm

Aah, well, beaten by a minute 8)

Memnoc
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Memnoc » Wed May 06, 2009 3:17 am

So now that I'm playing and a AS whats what kind of tapes do you need for capping armoursmith if someone wants too do that. When making a armour smith suit how many points is needed too make a complete armoursmith suit.

Swedishoyster
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Swedishoyster » Thu May 07, 2009 2:23 pm

Ok finally finished my Primus capped RIS armor, and as a returning vet I've been missing all the changes in CU and NGE, so it was really hard sifting through guides and stuff, almost making me want to write a guide myself.

Anyway, if my experiences can help others, here goes.

Cap that battle armor first. If you cant cap, dont even bother making a RIS, it's way to expensive to make a decent RIS-armor, it should be excellent. Plenty of good guides how to cap your armor on the official forum.

Primus - learned the hard way
When going for primus capped, don't even bother looking at the bazaar, at least on Chimaera you need the best-ever quality, so be prepared to get ALL primus material from "A crate of free resources". Good enough stuff got me to 99%, only when all mats was from resource kit did I manage to get 100% and cap primus.

Segments - I almost gave up and crawled into a corner and cried here.
Take 1;
I wanted to do a really really awesome armor for myself to make up for my ineptitude at PVE :-)
So, not only a pre-NGE peko peko albatross was purchased (20 mil). I also went out and bought 13 identical +8 health krayt dragon scales. For a lot, I think 13 million or so. I did post here about it but didnt get any reply so I just went ahead and THIS IS WHERE IT GETS WEIRD. I've gone back and re-read all the guides I've followed and this isnt mentioned anywhere.
Now first the basics:
To make a chest armor you need 3 identical battle armor cores.
So you must make 4 of those 3 and one lost for the schematic.
In a battle armor core you must put 3 segements, as they are subs for a schematics, they too must be made in a factory, so 12+1 segements = 13.
In every segment you can put an enhancement, I went with the 13 krayt Dragon scales. So I made a segment, choose Schematic, went out to my factory, put all the mats in the factory including the remaining 12 Krayt Dragon Scales.

I came back a few hours later to check it, opened up the output hopper and to my horror there was only ONE segment there, opened up the input hopper and all the resources was there except the Krayt Dragon Scales!!!

Now this wasn't a fun moment at all, but I mailed a GM explaining exactly what happened, and that 12 scales gone missing.
Waited 12 hours, waited some more, waited another 12 hours and almost stumbled upon a stack of Krayt dragon Scales in my house. Now the GM, who obviosly never been an Armorsmith had replaced the missing Scales with OTHER scales, not the same serial, ofc they didnt work with my schematic, and as I got 12 not 13 i didnt have enough to make another schematic. I tried, as politely as possible to reply to the GM and explaining that, great as it was to get 12 new scales, it didnt solve my problem. The GM confered with other GM's and the answer I got was that no, those scales would probably not fit my old schematic and I should make a new one, doh. At that point I gave up getting any help that way. What I did get was a confirmation that factories indeed are known to consume ALL looted enchancement, so you shuold always make them one by one, this is new for me and I can't find this warning in any guides anywhere but I have it confirmed by a GM.

Take 2; I went out and bought another stack of 13 +7 health (last on the server I beleive).
This time I meausred out the resurses x12 and put a single krayt dragon scale in the hopper.
YES, you guessed right, the RESOURCES disappeared this time, so not only can you scales disappear, it can take your resources as well. I didn't even bother yelling for a GM this time.

Luckily I had more resources and in the end I finally got my segments. I had no hickups making the 3 cores, probably because I carefully put in materials for just one core at a time, I was pleased to realize that the 3 +health enhanced segments stacked, so instead of getting a core of +7 health, I got +21 health (didn't find that in any guide either).

All that remained then was to put in all this stuff I made into the final appearance chest armor along with the peko peko feather, and the result is here:

Memnoc
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Memnoc » Thu May 07, 2009 10:17 pm

that looks really uber Swedishoyster. I've yet too figure out the tapes I need and total points for armour assembly and armour experimentation....plus for luck. Don't know if theres anything else.

Swedishoyster
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Swedishoyster » Fri May 08, 2009 9:20 am

Well for weapon I use a 3-stat SEA, +armor assembly, +armor experimentation and +luck, all from +35 powerbits.
same with shirt and chestarmor, the powerbit in the chestarmor during crafting was +armor assembly.
That's about it, oh I have a pair of looted +18 luck pants as well.

I'd say that the first thing you should do is to cap Armor Assembly (160 isnt it?), making sure you get a socket EVERY time, imagine making a RIS/BH/Mandalorian for a customer, maybe even enhanced with peko peko or summit and NOT getting a socket... After that just max out experimentation until you cap it. Then go for luck.

At crafting time I'm in a city with +experimentation, I use 44.999 stations and 15 crafting tools, I entertain buff with +security and +luck and ofc I eat the +assembly and +experimentation if it's something important like a primus factory batch. Truth to tell, I've yet to see a "luck" trigger during my armorsmithing sessions, "amazing" successes are more common than "great" though, although i can cap armor with only "great" as well so no biggie.

In the end it's really just a matter of getting good enough resources. I'm pretty new to AS but once you done a full suit like RIS, you pretty much get the hang of it and also get a feel for what quality the resources must be to cap, we are lucky in getting those 400 points "free" at final appearance assembly, I guess it's to compensate for the stupid hides that's so hard to get in good enough quality.

Memnoc
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Memnoc » Fri May 08, 2009 5:35 pm

If you were too build a armoursmith suit with +35 bits what would be the break down for armour tapes liste below. Thats the info I think myself and others are trying to find. I had thought as a armoursmith a player needed 22 points invested into each skill tape via below.

1- Armour Assembly = ???

2- Armour Experimentation = ???

3- Luck = ???

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Fri May 08, 2009 6:10 pm

Armor (or any) Assembly Bits have a modifier of 3, Experimentation Bits have a modifier of 4, Luck has no modifier. So when combined with a Power Bit, the best an Assembly SEA can be is 11 (35/3), the best an Experimentation SEA can be is 8 (35/4) and 35 is the best a Luck SEA can be.

Assembly and Experimentation are known as "Exotic" mods and can only be placed on shirts, breastplates and weapons. So a maxed out suit would have +33 Assembly and +24 Experimentation. Note: Armorers and Weaponsmiths can craft an additional +4 Assembly into a breastplate and weapon before SEAs are added, so you could get up to +41 Assembly. In addition, +4 Assembly Power-ups can be added to your shirt, breastplate and weapon, bringing you up to +53 Assembly Skill. Experimentation can not be crafted into a suit like Assembly can, neither can we make Experimentation Pups.