New to this so bare with me

Ask & answer questions, submit ideas or post guides on the Armorsmith Expertise.

Moderators: Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

santaowns
Novice Crafter

New to this so bare with me

Post by santaowns » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:38 am

I just started playing again about a month ago. Last time i played i lvled a 90 crafter and since then have decided on going master armor/RE route to help supply money for my need for better items addiction that i have on my combat toon.

Recently i got advice on making some armor pieces but i am really needing a good guide thats readable(not full of 12541254% this + safjksjdagjl = capped) that stuff doesnt make sense to me and probably never will. I really just need to know for instance what resources i need to make as close to capped armor that i can. and what i need to craft to put it together. Im really just kinda asking for someone to hold my hand and walk me through the sprinkler once before i just jump in a drown lol.

So far i think i have enough resources to make capped assault armor but i dont know anything about layers or primus anything like that the guy who was helping me ran off.

Also what kind of suit should i make using my RE skills to get my guy to have amazing success' almost each time? should i make 2 suits one with assembly one with experiment/ do i need luck thrown in there?

Alot of the guides out there are great if you have hours to decipher the code but i really dont im married and i barely get to play as it is so i need something thats straight forward such as a list like this one

armor core
dantooine fiberplast with high oq sr
intrusive ore with high oq sr
then schematic and other components needed here

I really really hope someone can help me with this as i would appreciate it. And if your on ahazi ill give you 500k for your time for doing this for me thanks again.

Also is it worth my time getting RIS certified? or is it still really really hard to get the loots needed to do this?

thegreywolfe
Advanced Crafter

Re: New to this so bare with me

Post by thegreywolfe » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:18 am

Hi santaowns.

I'm gonna take a crack at making this easier for you.

The first thing you should be trying to do is cap your armor cores. This means that your cores once placed into armor will have the maximum possible protection rating. i.e.

Assault Core 7000 kinetic 5000 energy 6000 elemental (all of them will be the same)
to reach cap for the above, your crafted core should have a minimum of the the following ratings
6600 kinetic 4600 energy 5600 elemental (you receive 400 extra points once placed into a piece of armor)

In order to figure out what stats you need on your resources, you need to look at the schematic for what you want to craft. That will give you the name of the resource type and what values are important in this crafting.

Using the above referenced Assault Core (more specifically the Advanced Assault Core) the resources you need are the following.

Shopping List:

45 Intrusive Ore
45 Dathomirian Fiberplast
45 Polymer
40 Mythra Copper
40 Kammris Iron
35 Amorphous Gemstone
30 Steel
22 Dantooine Wooly Hide
15 Scaley Hide
15 Iron

Now it gets slightly more difficult. The experimentation's you will have to deal with are as follows.

Experimental Properties:

* Condition
o Condition
Overall Quality 50%
Shock Resistance 50%
* General Protection
o General Protection
Overall Quality 50%
Shock Resistance 50%

Condition is not important (hasn't been for a few years now), so you will be putting into General Protection. This means that the important stats on your resources are Overall Quality and Shock Resistance. This is where the whole system gets ugly. There are two ways of going about seeing if you have a decent resource for this.

The hard way is to go into the forums here and check out the minimum / maximum values for Overall Quality and Shock resistance for each of your resources and comparing what you have in your inventory to the list to determine if it is any good. The list you need to look at is in this post. http://www.swgcraft.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29

Take a look at it, but don't let it depress you.

The easier way is to boot up your crafting tool and select the item you want to craft. (Go ahead and keep working with our above example)

Once you get to resource selection, single click on the resources in your inventory. You will notice that to the right one of the resources in the schematic will show a color bar next to it. You want that bar to go as high as possible and be green.

Trying to reach cap on your armor cores is difficult but once you do manage it, you're off and running 'cause the actual armor pieces don't need to have any quality put into them.

Once you are ready to try your hand at primus cores (I don't think anyone uses the others anymore), then it works the same way. Once you reach cap on those (can't remember the number for that right now) then you need to run off a load of them in your wearables factory.

Hopefully this is helpful for you.

Saoul
Novice Crafter

Post by Saoul » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:28 am

Hi,

I'm new to armor crafting as well (i have no crafting clothes and i cant afford bespin port), and just made a batch of unlayered assault armors. They all ended up with something like 2780 kinetic, 1780 in something and 780 in the rest for protection. Not very good, i know. I didn't think the resources i had was that bad, so i tried getting some really good resources that i needed for layers. I have only been able to get the resources for kinetic and energy layers so far (i thought that would be what would be most useful), but now that i made a test kinetic layer with as good as capped resources, i only got +95 kinetic and -96 energy on it.

Is there a way to get that energy penalty smaller, or..? Is this why i need to make the primus layers only?

What stats should a good layer have?
What stats should a good segment have?

And can i make good cores as long as i have good resources, but don't necessarily have those fancy bonus clothes or the drinks? Oh and is there a guide somewhere for how the whole RE thing works with armors? Thank you in advance. :)

thegreywolfe
Advanced Crafter

Post by thegreywolfe » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:19 am

Saoul wrote:Hi,

I'm new to armor crafting as well (i have no crafting clothes and i cant afford bespin port), and just made a batch of unlayered assault armors. They all ended up with something like 2780 kinetic, 1780 in something and 780 in the rest for protection. Not very good, i know. I didn't think the resources i had was that bad, so i tried getting some really good resources that i needed for layers. I have only been able to get the resources for kinetic and energy layers so far (i thought that would be what would be most useful), but now that i made a test kinetic layer with as good as capped resources, i only got +95 kinetic and -96 energy on it.

Is there a way to get that energy penalty smaller, or..? Is this why i need to make the primus layers only?

What stats should a good layer have?
What stats should a good segment have?

And can i make good cores as long as i have good resources, but don't necessarily have those fancy bonus clothes or the drinks? Oh and is there a guide somewhere for how the whole RE thing works with armors? Thank you in advance. :)
Looks like you made a basic core there. After the NGE, the basic and standard cores became completely useless, as you are able to where any armor as soon as you reach level 28(? not positive on the level there)

Try again with the advanced core schematic. I do recommend that you use a private armor/clothing crafting station (if you want to use a better one then your own, just look around and visit the shop of someone that sells armor, they usually hide it in the back room). I can't remember the segment value for good, but the core value would be 6600/4600/5600. I think your layer value was pretty decent, but without the formulas handy I'm not positive.

Saoul
Novice Crafter

Post by Saoul » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:11 am

Ohh right, yes i made a basic core, because i didn't have the resources for the better ones! Okay that does explain a lot! :) Thank you so much thegreywolfe!

I do have a +45.00 private crafting station, and a 15.00 tool. I just dont have the clothing and other little bells and whistles that seems to be required for making the good stuff. :)

Also, i found a guide on RE, so apologies for not looking properly through this site before asking for that! :wink:

thegreywolfe
Advanced Crafter

Post by thegreywolfe » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:19 pm

Saoul wrote:Ohh right, yes i made a basic core, because i didn't have the resources for the better ones! Okay that does explain a lot! :) Thank you so much thegreywolfe!

I do have a +45.00 private crafting station, and a 15.00 tool. I just dont have the clothing and other little bells and whistles that seems to be required for making the good stuff. :)

Also, i found a guide on RE, so apologies for not looking properly through this site before asking for that! :wink:
No worries Saoul, it happens to everyone. I assume than that you are a level 90, so I highly recommend at the very least springing for the mod bits for your clothing. I'd suggest getting Armor Experimentation, Armor assembly & RE in each piece. Depending on what server you're on, it'll cost upwards of 9 million credits to get that set up. If you're on Bria, then I'll be able to assist you with setting up your suits, and maybe even a bit of resources. While RE'ing is possible, I don't recommend it without building your suit and picking up some good power ups for re'ing.

Once you've got the suit set up, you'll want to go out and get your RE arm. You should be able to search out the quest information for that in the official forums, although I'm going to try and get it and posted it in a guide in our forums here today if I can. I'd also suggest that once you've managed the arm and the shirt, chestplate & weapon for your crafting, that you put luck into the remaining pieces of your armor.

thegreywolfe
Advanced Crafter

Post by thegreywolfe » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:59 pm

Never mind, it's in the RE post.

It's called the Cybernetic Deconstruction Arm

Saoul
Novice Crafter

Post by Saoul » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:37 am

First of all, apologies to the OP for somewhat hijacking here. /bows

Thegreywolfe, I'm on Starsider. :) Just came back to SWG after a 4 year absence, and having forgotten my old account username and password, i had to start all over. :lol:

Aye, I'm level 90 and I had a friend give me some starting cash and grinding resources. Now I have around 2 million credits left to play around with, after getting house, 45.0 crafting station, 15.0 tool and 1 elite harvester each for minerals and chemicals. Now I also had to purchase some small amounts of rare resources in order to be able to start making the primus layers and advanced cores.

So after getting at least some form of all the resources i need, my first prio should be getting those modded clothes? I must admit i know next to nothing about attachment mods and how they work, what numbers on them are considered good and such. I think I saw somewhere here on the forums that there are caps in place for these stats? 160 or some such for Armor Experimentation? Is there a cap for the Armor Assembly and RE stats too? I see some numbers in some of the older posts here, but some are commented to be old, and i'm just a little confused (as always :lol: ).

Once again, huge thanks for the invaluable help here! And once again apologies to the OP if this is going off topic!

thegreywolfe
Advanced Crafter

Post by thegreywolfe » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:21 am

Ok, here are a couple of links to inside the forum here that should help.

For the RE work that you will need I recommend RE Guide

For resource guides, Lunariel's Guideis always the best to visit.

One thing I do recommend is that if you've got a combat toon, you should probably start farming for your junk loot. Whether you do the RE work yourself (I wouldn't recommend it at first) or not, it'll give you something to trade or sell to help build your crafting suit.

For the suit you will need the following

3 +32 Power bits for the Armor Experimentation
3 +33 Power bits for the Armor Assembly
3 +30 Power bits for the Reverse Engineering

You will also need 3 of each of the modifier bits
Armor Experimentation
Armor Assembly
Reverse Engineering Chance

To buy the above really shouldn't cost you more than maybe 6 mill at the most. However, if you can offer the people making them for you stacks of junk loot, the price will probably come down a lot.

You'll need to have a Engineer and a Domestics assemble the shirt mod and the weapon mod for you.

Tal'os
Novice Crafter

Post by Tal'os » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:00 pm

Thegreywolfe, I just want to take a second and thank you for all your replies in this thread. I, too, am new to the profession and armorsmith in general and have learned more from reading your responses in this thread than I have reading all of the guides and FAQs in the SWG official forums and here. Thanks again for helping out us newbies. You and people like you are invaluable.