Crafting Suits?

Ask & answer questions, submit ideas or post guides on the Droid Engineer Expertise.

Moderators: Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

Dimmih
Novice Crafter

Crafting Suits?

Post by Dimmih » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:40 pm

Hello party people, I was spying over at the structures part of the forum out of pure boredom and found that they spoke alot about crafting suits and crafting buffs (with experimentation buffs etc). Is this something us Droid Engineers need? I mean, combat modules only really have one specific experimentation value that is worth maximizing, it's not like with harvester-experimentation where you want to get two experimentation values as high as possible.

So... do we benefit from experimentation buffs?
<DDE> Dimmih's Droid Emporium
On Europe-Farstar visit my shop in Free Sands (Tatooine)

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Re: Crafting Suits?

Post by Savacc » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:43 pm

Im not a Droid Engineer, Im the one who answers these questions in the Structures forums you were reading. I have just dabbled a little bit in trying to make droids and that was just to make Flight Computers and Astromech Droids for pilots. What I can tell you is that you are correct in your assumption that Crafting Suits are only needed if you are trying to experiment multiple lines of a product, or for RE Suits, to get more RE Chance and Luck. Before GU12, I know that Droid Engineers did not need Crafting Suits. Most things in DE do not need any experimentation, and those that do only require one line to be experimented on. I haven't looked real closely at the new stuff since GU12 so you would have to tell me if there is anything there that you would want to split your experimentation points on.

The only way to "buff" Experimentation Skill is with a Crafting Suit or Helper Monkey (or the Diner if you are a Chef or Architect). Assembly Skill can be buffed by Entertainers and using PuPs.

Dimmih
Novice Crafter

Post by Dimmih » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:18 pm

Thanks for the speedy respond, as of yet I haven't met a post-GU12 item needing several experimentation lines.

And while you touched assembly skill I'm still as wet behind the ears to fully understand the benefit of it, so do we need assembly skill? :D what does it improve?

Savacc

Post by Savacc » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:54 pm

No you dont need Assembly skill. Assembly skill is only useful for "guaranteeing" a crafted item has a socket, for applying SEAs. DEs who get involved in REing Power Bits do use large amounts of Decorative Knifes (is that what the Survival Knife is called now?) that must have sockets, but they are so cheep that if the first attempt doesnt have a socket you just throw it away and keep making them till it does have a socket (then use it as a factory schematic and make the knives in a factory). Same story for Tailors, making clothes is cheep and easy. It is Armorsmiths who need to guarantee that every piece of armor they make has a socket and want high Assembly skill.

Did I hear that Weaponsmiths catch a break here and crafted weapons always have a socket? I wouldnt know since I have never made a Weapon in my life (well, not a ground use weapon :lol: )

More info: There are two "Phases" of crafting: Assembly and Experimentation. Assembly is the phase where you select the resources and craft the initial product. Sockets, if the item has a socket, will be added in the Assembly phase. Experimentation is the phase where you improve on the initial Assembly. Assembly can be done with a Crafting Tool only. Experimentation requires you be in the vicinity of a Crafting Station or Droid with Crafting modules. In both Assembly and Experimentation a random roll is made to determine success. Only "great" successes and "amazing" successes are acceptable results, anything less ruins the product (unless it doesnt need experimenting at all). It was once possible to "critically fail" during Assembly. This was removed from the game years ago. It is still possible to "critically fail" in Experimentation. Once you master (are cl 90) you only get "great" and "amazing" Assembly results. "Great" and "amazing" results in Assembly are exactly the same. In Experimentation, "amazing" results are slightly better then "great", but it only matters if you are experimenting more then one line.

Bottom Line: a cl 90 crafter using the same resources will get the same Assembly result every time. Sockets are the only variable.

Edit- to directly answer your question, "What does Assembly skill do?" It increases your chance of getting a "great" or "amazing" result and a socket, if the item has sockets. The 100 pts of Assembly skill a cl 90 crafter has is enough to "guarantee" a "great" or "amazing" success. 150-160 Assembly skill is needed to "guarantee" a socket.

Dimmih
Novice Crafter

Post by Dimmih » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:35 pm

Thanks alot! :D

dareninger
Novice Crafter

Post by dareninger » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:32 am

Savacc wrote:Edit- to directly answer your question, "What does Assembly skill do?" It increases your chance of getting a "great" or "amazing" result and a socket, if the item has sockets. The 100 pts of Assembly skill a cl 90 crafter has is enough to "guarantee" a "great" or "amazing" success. 150-160 Assembly skill is needed to "guarantee" a socket.
So as a Droid Engineer or a Structure Engineer you wouldn't need sockets? This would be applicible only to Tailors or Weaponsmiths? This being the case we would only need 100 points of assembly? (I am traveling but think I could save a few points on the talent tree)

Repentence - Bria

Savacc

Post by Savacc » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:19 am

dareninger wrote:
Savacc wrote:Edit- to directly answer your question, "What does Assembly skill do?" It increases your chance of getting a "great" or "amazing" result and a socket, if the item has sockets. The 100 pts of Assembly skill a cl 90 crafter has is enough to "guarantee" a "great" or "amazing" success. 150-160 Assembly skill is needed to "guarantee" a socket.
So as a Droid Engineer or a Structure Engineer you wouldn't need sockets? This would be applicible only to Tailors or Weaponsmiths? This being the case we would only need 100 points of assembly? (I am traveling but think I could save a few points on the talent tree)

Repentence - Bria
Structure Trader - No, nothing a Structures Trader makes has sockets. Engineer Trader - Yes, if you want to RE Power Bits, you will need to make the "Decorative Knife" with sockets, but that would be it.
Edit- actually, the Decorative Knife is an Artisan Schematic, so DE doesnt make anything with sockets, or ?

I dont think you will be able to save any expertise. You have to take the bonus Assembly box to take the bonus Experimentation box, which you need to get the bonus to resource quality.
Edit- In SWG it's called "Expertise", "Talents" is from some other game :roll:

Paria
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Paria » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:18 am

@dareninger: Trader/Munitions (both AS and WS) also need an high assembly to be sure to craft armor/weapon with socket.

New cybernetic parts crafted by Trader/Engineer does not include a socket?
Arnh Stardust (Armorsmith or Shipwright) & Mamaria (Droids and Beasts crafter) in ORION on Lok (Chimaera server).

Savacc

Post by Savacc » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:37 pm

Paria wrote:@dareninger: Trader/Munitions (both AS and WS) also need an high assembly to be sure to craft armor/weapon with socket.

New cybernetic parts crafted by Trader/Engineer does not include a socket?
Ohhhh, didnt think of that :shock: Scratch everything I have said. DEs will want high Assembly to make the Cyber stuff with sockets. Or did I read somewhere the Cyber stuff doesnt have sockets? :?

Reeth
I came here on the bandwagon

Post by Reeth » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:38 am

Savacc wrote:Ohhhh, didnt think of that :shock: Scratch everything I have said. DEs will want high Assembly to make the Cyber stuff with sockets. Or did I read somewhere the Cyber stuff doesnt have sockets? :?
Cybernetics can have sockets, but note that they have their own assembly/experimentation skills so Droid Assembly is still no good for anything...

On the question of experimentation, the only DE items with more than one useful line are Interplanetary Survey Droids, Droid Repair Kits and the beastmaster components.

Savacc

Post by Savacc » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:47 am

I was hoping a real Droid Engineer would show up and clear all the misinformation I have been spewing about. I usually try to stay out of this forum since its not my area. :oops:

Belisama
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Belisama » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:59 pm

BTW as a tailor i have cloth assembly in my suit as well - but i am one of the few who still have pre-NGE tissues in storage. So i can still make bioenhanced clothes with for example camoflage plus a free socket... ;)

Best
Bel
Your domestic trader at Starsider TOG Mall: Tat WP -5101 -3308
You have resource for sale ? Check the TOG Holonet Channel for my offer
In Memoriam for all BE

superflybunnygirl
Novice Crafter

Post by superflybunnygirl » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:01 pm

I am a cybernetics crafter (I don't post I just ghost). I can tell you that you do want 160 cybernetics assembly to guarantee that socket in the cybernetics. As far as the experimentation goes, I have not found anything pertaining to the cybernetics crafting area that would require more than the 11 experimentation points you are provided with. Thus, I am of the understanding you don't need experimentation built into your suit. If you want the socket get the assembly. I have 157 assembly (messed up my weapon) and only 2 out of 100 items have come out with no socket. I hope this helps clarify for you guys.
IGN's Dra'kon and Krolyyn

Rackle
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Rackle » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:13 pm

Long time DE here...

Droid assembly & Experimentation are worthless in my book. I rarely run out of experimentation points, my problem is usually the resource quality isn't high enough. The only droid sub components you need to give consideration to quality are Combat, Detonation, Creature Harvest.... I don't think I'm leaving anything out.... All the motivators, brains, arms; they can all be junk resources. I hate hunting down quality resources, which is part of the reason I love being a DE.

As far as a suit goes, I made a Reverse Engineering suit a couple years back and I wear it as my default. It's full of Luck 35s, shirt, gun, belt, armor pieces. I have the RE exotics in the weapon, shirt, and chestplate.

I just made a Cybernetics addon for the same suit, I just switch out the 3 parts that take exotics. I added Cyb assembly, Cyb exp, and Luck in each one. Cybernetic assembly is just to guarantee sockets in my cybernetics (which is a nice revenue stream from active RE crafters). The experimentation is worthless atm, but I figured I might as well throw it in there just in case I need it later.